Rockford Files And TAXI Themes - Tracks

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bonafide, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide **....** Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    Artist - Nick Silver Pickups, Band In A Box, D'Mark USA, Free The Tone, Carr Amps + more
    Last year I transcribed and re-recorded several 70's TV themes for my client. First learning and then recording each instrument, one at a time to the best of my ability and acceptability level. It was a great exercise in songwriting and musicianship. 70's era session players. I uploaded 2 to my private channel.

** If I get enough interest, I'll stem out the tracks for TBrs.**
    Feel free to PM me. You can play your own bass, guitar etc...

The Rockford Files from Mike Post took the longest as my harmonica skills needed a few days of woodshed to pull off one of the odd bends and I bought a new harp mic and had to learn to hold it. I got some good council from Adam Gussow. It was passable for the gig.

Harmonica, Drums (Took the longest in SSD5), Lead Guitar (The ending credit solo by Dan Ferguson, Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar (My Fender P bass, Broughton SSDI), Moog line (used the Sequential prophet 8) and Percussion. Great songwriting, great arranging and instrumentation. Mike Post dominated my play list. I hope you enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAXI - Angelas Theme

This one, TAXI (Angela's Theme) was a great exercise in playing the electric piano melody on the guitar (it was an amp based demo) EP, Drums ( Again took the longest SSD5), Lead Guitar, Killer Fretless Bass line (I used my Lakland Skyline with Labellas, Alembic F-1X) Guitar and Percussion. Again great songwriting, great memories working it out.

This seems to be the shorter version, but the stems will be the full 3 + min song.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    JimK, ElectroVibe and paddygil2 like this.
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Great job. Two of the best theme songs ever.

Bonafide likes this.
  3. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    Artist - Nick Silver Pickups, Band In A Box, D'Mark USA, Free The Tone, Carr Amps + more
    Cheers, thanks man! It was really a connective session. So many childhood TV memories. I transcribed Hill Street Blues, two versions of Barney Miller (there were 5) and a few others as well. I am going to stem them out the next few days.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  4. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    Hill Street Blues Theme

Another Mike Post classic from the same session. LCs classic guitar solos. Another great exercise in transcribing and fun playing the electric piano melody on the guitar. Piano patch in Cubase, Roland strings, Sequential Flugel Horn, Drums (EZD on this one), Lead Guitar, Another killer Fretless bass line (My Lakland Skyline with Labellas, Alembic F-1X) Clean and OD guitar and Percussion. More great memories and feels working it out. 2nd to last note on the strat solo...13 gauge strings, end of day, very sore fingers on the skinny strings. Even several takes and I couldn't get that bend in tune.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    ElectroVibe likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Nice job!

Just got done watching Rockford Files while riding my indoor bike. It was the episode where Jim gets beat up by some tough guys but he doesn't know why.:D

ElectroVibe and Bonafide like this.
  6. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    LOL, that me laugh out loud! :roflmao:

I am binging Night Rider these days while I work on bass arpeggio inversions for my teacher.

ElectroVibe and 2saddleslab like this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Glad you found it funny cause I used to announce before the last song of each gig that we were doing one more number then we're all going to my house to watch The Rockford Files [and then went on to describe the episode, like above] and people looked at me with blank stares.:drool: Might have been an age thing.

ElectroVibe and Bonafide like this.
  8. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    We did get Gretchen Corbett out of it...and the best era for terrible, beautiful TV actresses. For some reason I am in the mood to go get a chili dog now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    2saddleslab likes this.