Rockin' The Midnight Hour

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stephanie, Oct 7, 2002.

1. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Just in time for Halloween... :D

What music puts you in a spooky mood? I personally love Gothic, atmospheric tunes, I listen to it all year 'round. I am always looking for music like this to discover so if anyone has any recommendations? Here's some stuff in my collection I can think of:

Anything by the Misfits

"Demons/Demons 2" soundtrack - ok, these were cheesy movies but I like the soundtrack. Songs by The Smiths, Dead Can Dance, Billy Idol, The Cult, Simon Boswell, and more...

"The Bridge" soundtrack - this is actually the 'soundtrack' to a book written by John Skipp and Craig Spector (who wrote the music as well). I admit the vocals in these songs are terrible LOL and most of the songs aren't very good, except maybe "We'll Be Gone" and "No Future" but the instrumentals are wonderfully spooky, esp. "Attack of the Cheesy Killer Lawn Ornaments" :)D) and "Wasteland Drive". Toxic rock at its best :D

"Undead" - a compilaton of Gothic songs which includes great bands such as Bauhaus, Gene Loves Jezebel, The Dark, Echo and the Bunnymen, Morgans, The Mission, The Damned, and Play Dead.

"The Beyond"/"The Gates of Hell" soundtrack - score to the Lucio Fulci movies. Music by Fabio Frizzi. Some great basswork. This music is very eerie :eek:
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Faith No More's album "Angel Dust" works for me. It was the soundtrack to a very harrowing/edgy event in my life so it sort of creeps me out in certain situations.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Type O Negative: A band best appreciated when live in concert with lots of fog.

"Danse Macabre": By Saint-Saens

"A Night on Bald Mountain" from the Disney feature length animated film, "Fantasia."

Spooky organ music, squeeky hinges, a full moon, and owls hooting eerily.
  4. Boplicity

Come to think of it, Gwar can be pretty spooky, too.
    And what about Danzig? And, oh yeah, Iron Maiden?

And best of all...Marilyn Manson.
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hmmmm...interesting thread here......
    for some reason there are some Dead Can Dance (how appropriate can that be?) tracks that give me the chills...
    ...of course, Carl Orf "Carmina Burana"
    Messien: "Quartet For the End Of Time"
    and just ablout anything by Gorecki!

...and for some reason, Iggy Pop's "The Idiot" has always scared the crap out of me!

And, for this Halloween's real-time festivities I have sampled tasty tidbits from the score to "Traffic", with David Torn's eerie guitar menacings sure to add just the right vibe for the local goblins and trick-or-treaters.

6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ahhh yes I forgot about Type-O-Negative. I have a few songs recorded from the radio.

I think Marilyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams" is spooky.

2 more eerie songs: The themes from "Halloween" and "The Exorcist" of course!

I'm listening to Skinny Puppy's "The Process" right now. It's rather spooky. Songs like "Cult" with the sadness of a cello are just downright disturbing, but in a beautiful way. :D
  7. JS Bach's organ pieces.

Whoa, spooky Gothic playing-in-a-cathedral-at-midnight kinda stuff.

But what makes music spooky?
  8. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Interesting question. I think everyone has differing opinions on what makes music spooky. A song that may scare the poop out of one person may not in another.

What makes a song spooky to me is its atmosphere. Use of minor chords and scales. Use of eerie cellos and keyboards or other instruments, the way the instrument is used. Sometimes vocals (esp. in the case of singers like Glenn Danzig) or lyrics. The song's use of space and suspense...If it brings to mind images of graveyards or eerie settings like I was watching a horror movie.

EDIT: I can't think for the life of me the singer of Type-O-Negative's name. That's the example I was thinking of for spooky voice, more so than Danzig....:confused:
  9. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Baroque music isn't really spooky but it tends to make me think of candlelit churches and stuff... even though it's more in the Happy Music realm.

King Crimson has had several jams that branched of into eerie creep-out land - for instance, most of the B-sides of "In the Wake of Poseidon" and "Lizard".

I can think of a ton of super creepy-sounding metal bands: Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Tartaros, Rotting Christ, Alas, Satyricon, and many others.

Ah yes, and listening to Naked City will definitely put you in a WEIRD and spooky mood... :p
  10. Boplicity

The bassist/vocalist of Type O Negative is Peter Steele. He used to use a large link chain for his bass strap. I don't know how he did it; it had to hurt.

In their first video, Steele played an acoustic bass on its side like a huge guitar while it hung from a heavey chain around his neck. Really odd looking, but cool.
  11. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Doh...ahh yes, Peter Steele. Thanks you. :) I did not know he played bass as well. Hmm....and I've never seen a Type O Negative video I don't think.
  12. Boplicity

Bumping this thread back up for Halloween.

I forgot to mention any music played with a Theremin is really spooky.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of electronic based music can be spooky. My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Depeche Mode, olde school Ministry.

I've always been a huge Type O fan. October Rust is one of my favorite albums of all time. (I should listen to that tonight)
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ever hear of "Gloomy Sunday"??? Radio stations worldwide banned it from their playlists because too many listeners were committing suicide after hearing it, (so think twice about playing it???).

In fact, the composer jumped off the roof of a building to his death in `68. Some are cynical about the effect of the song, but the incidence of suicide among listeners is pretty indisputable.

Billy Holliday, among others recorded it but record labels pulled it when things got too weird. Some of the listeners used the lyrics in their suicide notes.

Check it out -

Blue Cheer put out an album that isn't all that hard to find, "New, Improved, Blue Cheer" that has a song titled "Fruit and Icebergs" that has a bass/guitar theme which is absolutely sends chills up the spine.....(nothing at all like the psychedelic-era Blue Cheer). The fear the riff conveys makes anything any metal group has ever done sound like The Carpenters.
  15. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC