1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rockinbetter Bridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baker69, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Has anyone out there swapped their Rockinbetter Bridge for either a genuine Rik Bridge or a generic Rik Bridge replacement?

Why I ask is that when I get mine I'm thinking of doing this, but looking at photos of them both it seems like the string saddles are set further back on a real Rik? Although both Tokai and Rickenbacker's Specifications both state they have a 33.25" scale could it be that the Rockinbetter has a slightly longer neck to compensate?

I'm a bit worried that swapping the bridge may mean that I will screw up the intonation.

I think I read on here somewhere that someone did swap theirs (as well as the pickups) but I can't find the posting, I think their main concern was the string spacing rather than there being any problems with the bridge.

Can anyone help on this?

2. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Ok guys, 144 views and no comments???!!!

I know there are TB'ers out there who have replaced the bridges on their Tokai Rockinbetters with either genuine Ric bridges or a generic Ric bridge of other origin, as I have seen the photos.

What I would like to know is how you got around the problem of the string scale difference between the Rics and the Rockinbetters in that the Rockinbetter is about 1" longer than the Ric and has a scale length of approximately 34.25".

On the Rics the saddles sit about 1" behind the mute whereas on the Rockinbetter the saddles are set quite well forward.

Although the Ric bridge saddles are adjustable they won't move that far forward to be in a position to get the intonation set.

Could anyone please help? Someone may have come across this problem on other build projects?

3. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    The Rockinbetter neck is 1" longer than a Ric and as such their advertised specification stating that they have a 33.25" scale is WRONG!!!

4. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.

But isn't the Rockinbetter bridge 1" closer to the neck....like where the mute is on the rick?

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The saddles are where the mute on the ricky bridge would be, but where the strings anchor is in the usual place, if not further back.

Not only is the Rockingbetter a longer scale, but it has 22 frets, making the neck even longer again.

6. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    Scale length is measured between the nut and the bridge saddle not where the string anchors.....as I understand it. I held a tape measure up to my 4003 and I got about 33.25" and up to my Jazz and got about 34. What does a Rockenbetter measure? Number of frets won't make the scale longer. The 12th fret is..should be the middle of the string.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Actually, the saddles are variable, due to intonation, but should of course be within a certain range. The scale length is the nut to 12th x 2.

My Shine(same bass, different brandname) is 34" scale.

No they don't, but the neck has to be longer to fit the extra frets on, you put a neck with more frets in the same spot as one with less frets, the bridge will have to be closer to the neck on the one with more frets.

8. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Putting the the 2 bridges side by side I estimate that to put the Ric bridge in the same place would mean that the saddles would be 3/4" further back than those on the existing bridge.

Whilst there is a small amount of movement on the saddle travel this would be nowhere near enough to obtain intonation.

Moving the bridge forward by 3/4" would mean that it would be too close to the bridge pickup and make any playing of the strings between the pickup asnd the bridge very difficult, plus there would be an excessive gap between the bridge and the end of the body of the bass, the Rockingbetter has about 1/2" gap at the moment which is probably a bit more than the Ric so if I moved it forward there would be 1 1/4" gap which would look ridiculous.

I'm beginning to think that moving the bridge forward is really the only option in order to maintain the 34"string scale and the 2 x 17" distances required.

The Rockinbetter bridge isn't too bad in all fairness, it just doesn't look the same as the Rik and will spoil the vibe quite a bit. It will also mean that I won't have the string mute.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

9. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008

Not exactly, what they've cleverly done is to put the bridge in the correct position but designed it such that the saddles are in the same place as where the string mute is on the Rickenbacker bridge.

10. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008

The bridge is in the same place, but as you rightly say the saddles are where the mute is on the Rick which gets it to half its scale length.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is actually not true in most cases. The extra frets usually are built on a fretboard extension that lays on top of the body. That's why you'll find a lot of 24 fret basses where the top couple of frets are hard to get to. Companies can build the body the same way with the same bridge placement for any fret number because of this, and only have to alter the fretboard.

12. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Unfortunately on the Rockinbetter the nut to 12th fret dimension is definitely 17" and they haven't simply added the extra fret on the end.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Honestly, the vast majority of basses I've seen/played/own don't have that overhang, besides Warmoth, my one of my SX's have it. I've seen a lot of basses where the neck is set into the body making the highest frets harder to reach, though.
    Yup, the 22nd is right at the body joint, where the 20th is on a Ricky.

The bridge is a bit clunky and ugly, but it is actually a pretty decent piece besides that.

14. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    there are two types of Rockinbetter, a 22fret one and a 20 fret one, if you check where the bridge is you will see on one its in line with the last tone pot but the 22 fret one the bridge is in liine with second tone pot

15. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    So which Rockinbetter is Better?

16. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    I think the intonation is better on the 22 fret bass and I think it the more modern of the two. i think you could ask 20 guys and get a split of 50/50.
    tha 20 fret is closer to looking like a Ric!

17. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008

The intonation is absolutely spot-on on my 22-fret RG4001! :D

18. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Bill,

If you get a moment have a look under the bridge on your RG4003 to check it has fixing screws in, on mine they had drilled the body slightly out so the holes didn't line up and rather than rectifying it they decided not to put any screws in at all so the whole of the bridge unit was being held in by the 2 (visible) screws! :eek:

To its credit the 2 screws did hold the bridge down fairly solid. :meh:

Baker

19. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    just checked and mine had two screwes under the bridge saddle plus the two you can see, thanks for the head up.
    i do like the bridge. much better than say the Gibson eb3 type bridge, the other thing is the frets there flat, not much bow between the E and the G

20. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, it's quite a nice bridge really, I wanted to change mine purely for cosmetic reasons. Ok, it hasn't got the mute pad, but in all reality does anybody use these???

The fingerboard is really flat as you say, if you've been used to playing something like a P Bass before playing one of these you're in for a bit of a shock. I quite like it though.