1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rocking in the PRC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EBMan, Jun 8, 2007.

1. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I'll be the first to say that the stuff coming out of China seems to be top quality anymore. I have a Boss digital recorder, Boss drum machine, Peterson StroboStomp2 and Crate BT15 all made in China. All appear to be every bit as well made as USA made stuff. The prices have also fallen as to make equipment much more affordable. It's a global economy, etc. But...........

Putting aside politics, etc., does it bother you that much of the stuff in not made in the USA or England anymore? Somehow an Indonesian, Chinese, etc. amp or guiter just seems strange. They sound very good but still, it just doesn't feel right.

GK, Peavey, Ampeg and many others have shifted a lot to China. Fender/SWR makes it all in Indonesia and Mexico. I know in my head they are probably every bit as good, but emotionally I can't connect.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, keep it quiet before they catch on and raise prices!

And no, it doesn't seem strange that good stuff is made overseas rather than Europe or the States. With some very minor exceptions, I haven't seen any products recently made in the First World that were actually worth their price.

3. carlosd74

carlosd74

Feb 24, 2007
    Philly
    I studied and worked in Nanjing, China (near Shanghai). China has an educated work force and labor is cheaper (compared to most USA/Canada). I would not hesitate to buy a product as long as the management/QC was foreign-trained. I would not buy a product if the factory was State-owned.

4. hack

hack

Mar 24, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I have to chip in on this one. Call me old fashioned but its like your tools. I absolutelly detest any kind of tool thats coming out of China. And I have a lot of experience with them. Firstly, the material is substandard. Quality of steel, etc.... Secondly, they (chinese) have no emotional attachment to the product like most of european or american small companies have. There is no pride in the product either. This is by no means meant to look down upon their workforce, I know that they work their as**s off in their factories. Thirdly, Chinese industry, as a whole is geared towards making disposable products that will have to be replaced very shortly. I would preffer to pay large amount of money knowing that the product has been created with love and pride and that will last. Like some old tools (pre war)that I was given by my grandfather and they s**t all over the cheap chinese junk thats good enough only if you want to get frustrated. Same with musical instruments and equipment. Had chinese made before and was not satisfied. The quality was substandard. Bought american made and you can tell the difference. A bit of a rant but I am glad that you brought this up. If you didn't I would.

5. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Chinese amps are junk but most Americans are too stupid (or broke) to realize it.

6. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Tell me about it. Just look at the boxes in which the Chinese junk arrives. It's like simulated cardboard or something. Real chinchy. And their tools, tooling, and steel. All pot metal. The actual nuts & bolts are, as you say, substandard. Tolerances shmalerances. Weak. Grade 8? Yeah, right.

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Say what you will, but my Chinese Ashdown MAG is an excellent amp... :smug:

8. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    As a band teacher, i have yet to see a decent trumpet, flute, sax, etc. come outta china... garbage. However, my Ashdown EB 180 is a great amp, Chinese basses seem to be pretty decent, and, astronomically speaking, some incredibly good bang-fer-the-buck telescopes are coming outta china and Taiwan...

9. hack

hack

Mar 24, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    After having a few beers I want to add to my previous post. You just can't tweak any mojo outta chinese garbage. There you have it. :bassist:
    Any company moving their production to asia to make a quick buck should be boycotted. That's the beginning of their end. Ahhhh, globalisation.....:rollno:

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    This is more of a general thread and doesn't belong in Amps. Moved to Misc.

11. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    Hack,

You summed up what I was trying to say better than me. The asians have no emotional attachment. Rock and roll is not ingrained in their culture. It's just another product to make. It doesn't mean they can't and don't make excellent products.

The only exception I can think of is Takamine. That was started by an enthusiast.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021