Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rockman Bass Ace Headphone Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Anybody tried the Rockman Bass Ace Headphone Amp?

I was going to get a good pair of wireless headphones and a wireless setup for my bass so I can play in the living room while the wife watches TV. Ive been getting that "you need to spend more time with me and less time in the office with your bass!". Old married guys, you know what I mean. Younger single guys, its coming soon.

Only thing is it will cost me about $400+ for this rig, so Im considering a cheaper alternative with this headphone amp. Anybody tried it? Any good?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you confirmed (in writing :D ) that you actually get "credit" for together time if you have a bass in your hand?

I know that I wouldn't... :( :bag:

As for the Rockman...I had a bass Rockman way back in the '80s when they first came out. I found it overly dark (or dull sounding). It sounded much better when I used a Y cord to plug into it and the X100 (guitar one) and then plugged the line out of one into the other so that only one set of headphone was required. After that, it did give a great Geddy Lee tone with clean warm bottom and grindy top... :hyper:

The Cafe Walter headphone amp available from Bass NW is supposed to sound beautifully clear.... :bassist:

3. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I do get "being together time credit" if I have the bass with me, I tried it with my little practice amp and the headphones, it checked out.

Im a little confused, explain to me again how you did the Y connector?

And where can I get that other headphone amp?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    OK, here we go...

I bought a mono 1/4 in. female to two male 1/4 in. plug adapter at Radio Shack. Plug my cable into the jack and one plug into each Rockman (Bass and X100 (guitar)).

The Rockmen had two types of outputs, a Stereo 1/4 inch line output (works as an Aux input too) and two 1/8 in. stereo headphone outputs.

I took a 1/4 in. stereo male to 1/4 in. stereo male patch cord and went between line out/line jacks on the Rockmen.

I then plugged my headphones into one of them. The Rockman mixes the internal signal with the one arriving at the Aux input (for jamming) so your headphones receive a blended signal...