1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RockTEC Metal Worker

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arbarnhart, Dec 18, 2006.

1. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Oops - make that RockTEK, not RockTEC. I can't edit that; maybe a moderator can so someone searching in the future will find it...

Before you start rolling your eyes, I did a little research and I know they aren't that great (though every now and then someone raves about them). But I am just getting into this stuff and I figured if I find a working pedal cheap I can mess arounf with it and learn more about them. Anyway, I spy one on eBay listed by someone with good feedback claiming it works fine with a low start and cheap shipping, bid low and no one snipes me. So I paid just under $10 and I got this in the mail today:

rocktek.

I have messed around with it a little and there are some settings that are decent. I have to keep the Level and H-FREQ set pretty low or it just churns out garbage, but I can adjust the L-FREQ and DIST pretty much full range and get some variations from a slightly fuzzy tone to full out metal distortion with lots of "wanted noise" (purposeful controllable feedback). But I have no documentation. It is pretty obvious that the knobs are for distortion, low frequency, high frequency and level is volume/gain/power. Anybody out there who is having good luck with this pedal care to share some info and/or settings?

I wouldn't go out of my way to find one, but for under $10 I am pretty pleased with it.

2. I used to use Roctek stuff all the time when I was younger. They only cost about 15 or 20 bucks most of the time and they sound ok considering the price the only thing is be gentle with them the break really easy.

3. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow - it gets better. I have been testing it on the computer as I am getting kids to bed. I realized I needed to turn down the mic input level on the soundcard and now I can adjust all the settings freely and I am getting a lot of different sounds out of it. I pulled up a couple of Black Sabbath tabs for fun; had to stop after a few minutes 'cause I figured I might trigger a flashback or something... :D

I like!!

When I hook up to my amp, should I use the active or passive jack?

4. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    My running monologue continues...

I still haven't located documentation. I am more pleased with it the more I mess with it. If there are good ones and bad ones, then this is one of the good ones. I practice with the computer and headphones a lot and this is working out as a nice little preamp in bewtween to give me some control. I can keep the distortion off and the level low and use the high and low dials to get some varied clean tones.

Anyway, if someone has docs on it, especially if they are PDF or whatever, let me know.