Rocktek. Good enough, or junk?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Just did a search [past year] and only came up with three threads and none aswered what I'm wanting to know.

Rocktek pedals [specifically EQ pedal, but others as well]. Are they okay enough, sound wise, or are they junk?

Should I spring for the extra amount needed for a Boss instead?

2. What? . . . . . . . . . . . No volunteers? ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've only used BOSS effects...just bought a VF-1 from eBay and it's been like all the other BOSS equipment I've used, solid and great-sounding.
  4. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    if ur looking for effects on the cheap, keep an eye out for the behringer pedals. Not out yet, watch for reviews. Ive got a huntch they will be acceptable considering the price.
  5. Well, I know that Behringer makes a good amp. I don't see why they wouldn't make a good pedal. Any idea where I'd go to wait for this arrival?

I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" may be true on the Rocktek. They have them at for about $13. They have the Boss EQ pedal for $70. Probably ought'a get a Boss instead. :meh:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Shame. I had a Rocktek distortion pedal, but it was when I first started playing and sold it years ago, so I can't remember anything about it other than it was operational.
  7. Maybe I should just buy the thing [since it is cheap in price] to see how well it does. You know, . . . .take one for the team.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Someone has to find out how bad something sucks somehow.
  9. They're only 8 bucks now. I'm thinking about checking out the synth thing, for kicks:D
  10. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm gonna pick up a few of them, wanna try em - and heck, Ebay will get me my money back if worst comes to worst...
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The EQ is down to 7, everything else is 8 bucks. Worst case scenario is you have some cool looking paperweights.
  12. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Yup, noticed that today. I'll have a full report on the EQ when it gets in. :bassist:

13. Taking one for the team before I was able to. Yes, let us know how they are. I may pick one up [as well] if they are half way decent. :)
  14. Bump up the post.

Waiting to hear a review.
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I got a free Rocktek volume pedal once.
    It worked but made a lot of noise.
    I still used it.
    Until it broke in 2. Litterally. Tpedal collapsed under my foot and the bottom split.
  16. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well, I picked up the phaser about a month ago. I actually did a review of it on the site here...

Like I said in the review, they're cheap. The battery covers or knobs come off ease (even when you don't want them too) and such. They work though. If you're looking to try effects like I was, they're worth the money to buy one and try it out. I'm thinking about picking up a small stone or something when the money makes itself present, but till then I will just use this junker.

So verdict on the phaser pedal: Better then a stick in the eye.
  17. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Okay, my 6-band bass EQ got here...

Construction: Very, very plastic. Battery cover is already falling off. Will survive if you're nice to it.

Sound: Suprisingly transparent! No noise at moderate settings. At more extreme settings, I noticed distortion when hitting the strings hard. The tone-shaping ability is somewhat limited to begin with, and the extremes of each slider are unusable because of the distortion, so overall any changes to your tone are going to be subtle.

Verdict: Was it worth ten bucks? Yeah. Do I see myself using it? No. This one will be going on the 'bay, unless a TBer is curious enough to want to try it out.
  18. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The thing is, I got an Arion bass distortion, and its quiet (no extra noise) and sounds pretty good...
  19. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    My $.02 is that the Rocketk phaser I just got is a great deal at $7.

On the other hand, the Rocktek compressor is a complete watse of $7 IMHO. The compressor cut almost ALL of the bass outta my bass. Not a desireable effect. My brother tried it out on his guitar, and he said pretty much the same thing, that all the compressor did was make his guitar sound tinny and hollow.

My advice, is that if you want quality, or something you can use live or to record, buy a BOSS. If you just want something cheap to play with, in your bedroom, then give the clearance pedals at GC a try.

20. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Must... not.... make... mother... or sister.... joke....

that was close.