Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rocktron Basix Preamp ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Sep 25, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Rocktron Basix Bass Preamp
    Do they make good stuff?
    I have an opportunity to puchase this unit really Cheap, (50 bucks). As usual, being the neophyte that I am, I know nothing about it. I would hope to use it as a preamp for say Carvin DCM 1000 or maybe some other P A amp to amplify my bass. Any recomendations. Would it work for this and is it a good unit? It must be an older as I can't even find it listed at the Roctron web site. Any info/opinions appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think it's around 10 years old and I remember it got very good reviews.
    It was one of the very first programmable preamps.

I found some online links where it's offered for as much as 150$, so you might have gotten a pretty good deal on that one.

3. Came out in Bass Player '93 as a new product.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Is it set up as a preamp with effects, or was it designed to be used with an amp that already has a preamp to add on and give you more tone variations?

5. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    don't know if anyone here is still looking at this thread, but I bought a rocktron basix abo0ut 3 months ago, and couldn't be happier!!! I got mine for about $70 (us) and based on the price alone, I am very happy. here's the low down on the bass:

compression
    exciter
    distortion
    3 band tone control (freq selectable)
    level control.

it also has a whole wack of plugins in the back (1/4" footswitch controls for turning all the features on and off.) it also has a built in crossover.

I've found that my compressor isn't working properly. if I set it too high, then after about 15 minutes of playing, it starts vibrating the sound maddly (like when you talk into a fan)so I've countered this by turning the compressor down low.

if you have the option of getting one cheap, go for it. If I ever blow mine up I'm going to be looking for another one!

When I got mine, I was disturbed by the fact that there was virtually NOTHING on the internet about this preamp. I bought it on a leap of faith.

btw: its not programmable (mine isn't anyways...)

jmk