Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rocktron Black Cat Moan

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Aug 31, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I bought one of these today, even though I didn't really have the opportunity to test it out for very long. I played with a 105Q and a Dual Bass Wah and was kinda disappointed with them. Neither of them felt nearly as well built as the Rocktron and the Rocktron seemed to have more of a "signature sound" by comparison. Both the Dunlop and Morley are fine pedals, I was just looking for something less mainstream. Anyway, have any of you effect gurus tried the Rocktron?
    If so, how do you think it compares to the other bass-friendly wahs on the market? Any thoughts on reliability? I did a search and came up with only one match, and that match was in an unrelated thread. I am mostly curious to know why there is so little talk about such a cool pedal. Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated.

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Am I the only one who has experience with this pedal?

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Alright, I gave this pedal a thorough testing and I must say that it is a keeper. It leans a little closer to the metal side of the fence as opposed to the funk side, but that's why I have a Discumbobulator. It handles a forcefully slapped "E" string just as well as it handles upper fret "G" string pops. It introduces no additional noise to my signal and has a clean bypass. The Moan feature is worthless to me, but it sounds hella wicked with my modified MXR Distortion+. It's also a huge plus that it sounds different than any other wah that I have tested. One warning though, don't stare directly into the blue LED as it is akin to staring directly into the freaking sun! Seriously cool pedal.

Driven Crane likes this.
  4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yo Bass Shy...how does it handle detuned to D, E string...or even a detuned B, to A??? You say the Moan selection is worthless to you. What does it do exactly? Sound like? If it is closer to the metal fence...maybe I've finally found the pedal I'm looking for.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I can't comment on it's drop tuning capabilities, as I rarely deviate from standard tuning, but I definitely feel that it is better suited to heavier styles of music than funk styles. It does well as a funk wah, but it didn't even come close to my EMMA Discumbobulator. As far as the moan control is concerned, it seems like a distortion enhancer. There is definitely a lot of gain available, it that's your thing, but I leave my distortion tasks to my distortion pedals. The moan kinda exaggerates your distortion........it's hard to explain, really. Overall, it is absolutely worth checking out. I really liked it's wah tone, it is a well built pedal and it is reasonably priced. I will probably buy another one soon, as I had to sell mine recently. If you buy one, let us know how you like it. There really isn't much information to be had. Good luck.

Driven Crane likes this.
  6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmmm....thanks for the further info. I'll be going to Elderly music next week to try one out. Hopefully be able to compare that to the Weeping Demon and the V wah. I'll post the comparo then. I'm really hoping i'll give me the sound I'm looking for....I play in an original prog metal band...I've been looking for something, not like the quack funk wah sound you get from most wahs...but more of some sort of wah , maybe moan? Definalty some sort of pitch shift but not the whammy pedal....which I'd like to try anyways....

Ok I'm done

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Elderly is a seriously cool place. A few of my friends work there and I "visit" them often. Good luck.

8. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    How would the black cat moan sound with playing Pulling teeth by Cliff Burton

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Only as good as the bassist playing it. Seriously, I don't know. It is a good wah pedal though, especially when used with distortion. Hope this helps.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK for those who are interested. Bass-shy's evaluation of this wah is dead on. Rocktron is rock solid. Well built, very sturdy, and heavy. I feel like I could really toss this thing around. Lots of tension to push down on as well. I really like to put some weight in to the pedal as I use it...and weight is what I have...280 lbs. What caught my eye was Bass-shys comment about this wah is on the metal side of the coin. The last couple of years I've been toying with just about every wah out there and I'm very happy to say this is the one for me. I've finally found one that does "that sound" I've been looking for. With the Moan/Moan gain cranked I'm gettting a huge sweep from the low de-tuned, (ADADG), Lakland 55-01. Much more than any wah I've tried before. As far as the Moan is concerned it's described as a mid frequency boost through a germanium diode whatever. It boosts it all right...right out of the park if you want. This thing can really scream if not careful. couple of times the guitarists asked to turn down...he couldn't hear himself nor the drummer...LOL. It still cuts the low end, just not as much as the others, in my opinion. However in the manner in which I run my rig it's no problem...two seperate signals...one clean to the BMAX/Avatar 212, and one for effects to the 'ol Peavey tube pre/Avatar 410. Never notice the cut in low end what-so-ever.

Anyways...long winded and disconnected review...but I keep getting interupted here at work.

Driven Crane likes this.
  11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm glad that you found something you're so pleased with, and that I could help. You have a very cool wah pedal.......the one to beat, IMO. As far as Elderly goes, I'm there at least twice a week. I love that place. Anyway, good luck plowing new territory with your wah. :cool: