Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rocktron Gainiac or other rackmountable guitar preamp for ultra-brutal distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atoni, Jul 27, 2004.

1. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Hello! I was reading bigfeet's interesting post over here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111965&highlight=Blending+Clean+Distortion

I'm very interested to get rackmountable mixer and and rackmountable guitar preamp, and mix some B_R_U_T_A_L distortions with my SVT-rack.

Does anybody have something to else to tell about Rocktron's Gainiac than "it's cool but it doesn't have power button" etc. I did Harmony Central but user reviews seems to get into a fight posts.

I was thinking about PSA-1 would be great. Marshall JMP-1 or Mesa Boogie Triaxis seems great too but those seems to cost lots of money. Been looking some discontinued second hand preamps too like Kasha Rockmods but they are hard to find.

Well but if you people have some recommendations for rackmountable guitar preamps for this kind of use I would be very grateful.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The PSA-1 was designed to work on bass AND guitar.

3. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Yeah I know... But that's not my point

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have yet to use a Gainiac, but have wanted to for a while now. I talked to a good friend that has a Gainiac in his guitar rig, and he loves it. I personally like all the newer Rocktron stuff, so I say try it out. My only grip is that with my Silver Dragon, it had a Chinese tube that I thought sounded harsh. You might check into what kind of tube the Gainiac has and might consider a swap.