Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rocktron Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So today I had the priviledge of playing some Rocktron Pedals. In the shop I work at, we had quite of few of the pedals, but only a few appealled to me. I tried out Hypnotic Flange, Heart Attack Envelope Filter, and The Silver Dragon Distortion/Insaneness.

The Heart Attack was a pretty cool envelope filter, and it also has built in distortion. It has a pretty distinctive sound, so I would suggest that you try it before you buy it.

The Hypnotic Flanger was very cool. It had an amazing flange sound. The Trance/Hypnotize setting is awesome for making ridiculous noises. I really suggest purchasing this.

And last but DEFINATELY not least, The Silver Dragon. First of all, this pedal is pretty huge. It uses a 13V power supply, and it has 2 switches. The Awaken stomp is your basic tube overdrive, and then you switch on the Slayer and it gets insane. Think about the distortion on "Third Eye" by Tool. It's super crazy nutzoid with insane feedback and madness.

Needless to say, I really need the Silver Dragon. Thank god I work at the store.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey thanks for the review. Always wondered about the Rocktron stomps especially the Silver lizard.

So you work at a music shop huh? That's cool, we can count on you to try gear for us right? :hyper:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha, certain gear!

Got anything in mind?

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, tell us what's in the store :)

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    A lot of Johnson stuff, we have an online store that's being updated very often.

We can get in anything Dunlop (meaning MXR) and Rocktron, but lets get back to these great pedals. :smug:

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a Black Cat Moan wah pedal that I have really been digging. Rocktron seems to be putting out some great effects lately.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Now you got me looking at the flanger. I was thinking of the EH Mistress...

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dunlop huh?
    So what's the skinny on the egg shakers? Are they true bypass?

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They're hardwired. You can send them to me for a small fee to mod them.

:D :D :D

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I saw that one in the catalog and I was wondering about it. Is it like a typical wah or does it have some unique features?

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The answer to your question is: both. I can get sweet vintage wah tones out of it and I can also get some pretty raunchy ones, too. The "Moan" control on the side I could live without, but it can be set to sound transparent and to give the wah a little volume boost, which is cool. The three selectable modes: Normal, Classic and Bass, are exactly what they claim. The Bass mode, however has kind of a narrow sweep, so I use the Classic mode almost exclusively. I don't notice any low end attenuation in either the Classic or Bass settings. By itself, it gets a nice funk tone but when you add some distortion it gets insane. Some parts of the sweep sound almost like a ring mod! Build quality is good, especially for the price, and the bypass is clean. I don't notice any difference with or without it in my signal path. Compared to the Dunlop 105Q and the Morley DBW, I would take the Rocktron, (and did). I would still like to compare it to the Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster, Hiwatt Custom Wah and Tech 21 Killer Wail, but until then, I am very pleased with this one. Hope this helps.

12. thanks for the review, im really interested in the hypnotic flanger

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah man, I highly reccomend it.

14. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i am also looking at the hypnotic flanger, but at this point im thinking i might bite the bullet and go for a line 6 mm4.

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Xan I just snapped up an MM4 in the classifieds. I'll let ya know how it works. :bassist:

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Nice! Theres on on ebay atm willing to ship to me in Australia so I will probably have to buy it before you get yours :)

17. I had the Tsunami Chorus.
    The chorus side was quite usable. I don't have lots of chorus experience so it is subjective to my tastes but seemed to work quite well. The ambiance side just didn't seem usable on bass, at least to my ears, I just couldn't tell it was on. Worked great on my daughters guitar.

Support is great. I got one brand new that didn't do anything out of the box, emailed them, and got a call in like 1 hour, they said they would send out a new one, and didn't need me to send the broken one back.

I am still trying to figure out what is wrong so I can fix it and sell it
    :bag: :D