Rocktron Silver Dragon

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm probably going to be picking one of these up in the near future because I feel like i've found MY distortion. We have one at the shop I work at and it's heavenly. Anyways, it has a tube in it, a 12AX7 to be exact, and i'm wondering if after a while i'm going to have to replace it? It glows red if that helps any.
  2. They always glow, and you may have to replace it eventually if it starts sounding crappy or cutting out or making strange noises, but typically preamp tubes like that last AGES, and we're talking 5-10 years easily

And they arent exactly expensive, you can pick up a JJ 12AX7 for $10 and they are ace :)
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I like the look of that unit too. Give us a review when you get it :)
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Ya, It's Power Amp tubes ya have to worry about (replace every 2 years, sooner if you crank 'em).

Look fwd to the review.....
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your tube should last you a while, and different brands of tubes will have slightly different tonal characteristics. However, they're not expensive, and a 12AX7 should be stocked by most music shops.
  6. glassjaw_jc

Dec 21, 2005
    I've tried it with a guitar and it's freakin' awesome!!!

forgot to try it with a bass. will try next week
  7. Well, my SVT was used as a workhorse amp before i got it, was rented out alot and used at big all day festivals (V-2000 in the UK), and it still had the stock tubes when i got it, it was made in '89, i got it earlier this year, so we're talking more than 15 years before the power amp tubes were changed ;)
  8. are you going to be replacing your gov'nor with the silver dragon?
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope. I'll show you my dream geeked rig eventually but it's gonna be like this:

-Guv'nor set with high gain but low treble, to make a "ripping" sort of distortion sound.
    -Silver Dragon "Awake" setting set to moderate overdrive. A little bit of dirt.
    -Silver Dragon "Slayer" setting set to balls out insane fuzz.

The Guv'nor will be before my Wah and my Silver Dragon will be after the Wah, so then I can get the best of both worlds in the wah department.
  10. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    whowh, I'll post all my guv'nor mods soon I've tried them, butr chanching a cap already was coooooll
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm now the proud owner of one of these bad boys! I just picked it up when I got to work (25 minutes ago.) Unfortunately I won't be able to play it til at least around 11 tonight. I got a party after this. I'll try to record some clips, but my recording program sucks (PM me with good free recording software.)
  12. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    audacity is cool and free, search google for this
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have it, but I can't figure out how to record! I'll try again when I get home.
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You owe us clips and a good review in the distortion thread.