1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rocktron Tsunami and active basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eyvindwa, Aug 13, 2007.

1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I have just purchased a Rocktron Tsunami much due to the good feedback it has gotten on this forum, and I must say that the sound of it is sweet! However, when I run my active Warwick bass through it, the signal is clipped/distorted, and it seems like the signal from the bass is to hot for the pedal to handle. Does anyone have similar issues? Those of you that own the unit; how do you handle this? Do you only play passive basses? (btw: it is not the battery going dead, I power the unit with an adapter).

2. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Sorry I only have passives, and have not encountered it.

3. I guess I will be finding this out also, as I have a schecter Elite 5 with passive pickups but active preamp in it, and just ordered a tsunami pedal too.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I didn't experience this but my only active bass doesn't have a very strong output.
    The manual says it handles +10 dBU signals @ +1 Mohm, which should even be fine for line level signals. No reason to have such issues.

5. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    I would call Rocktron's support people, they have been nothing but helpfull when I've talked to them.

6. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I sent an email to Rocktron, and they replied quickly, but it seems that this is an issue with their pedals:

:meh:

audienceofone: please let me know about your findings when you receive the pedal.

7. I had the Tsunami and ended up sending it back because of the clipping. I had emailed them and gave me some settings to try, but it did not fix it. I also had a deep crush compressor and had the same issue. Ended up buying a different compressor and chorus pedal.

8. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Not the answer I was hoping for :(

Do you mind telling which chorus you got instead?

9. I got the T.C. Electronics SCF. I went to my local music store and tried out a bunch choruses and just fell in love with it. The difference in price between the Tsunami and SCF is pretty steep, but I figured out that I really wanted to add chorus to my sound. So I did not mind spending the cash for a good one.

10. Sorry for the long delay. I ordered a new tsunami off of eBay. It got lost. The guy shipped me a new one. It got here last Wednesday. I hooked it up and couldn't notice any change from my regular tone. I tried my daughters guitar and still nothing. I emailed Rocktron, and they got back to me later that afternoon, that they were shipping a new one out to me.

Long story short, it got here today, and while I need to keep trying it out, I have not heard any clipping with my Schecter Elite 5.

11. I run 18v pres in my basses and I don't experience any clipping with my Tsunami. It's happened with other effects such as the Zvex Wooly Mammoth and some EH pedals like the Small Stone, Small Clone and Big Muff PI (but not the Clone Theory - sweet chorus as well). I don't max the volume on my basses. They're usually set to 70 - 80% max volume. Seems to do the trick with the effects i use.