Rocky Horror Picture Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Is anyone else here a weirdo that enjoys live weekly performances of the Rocky Horror Picture Show? A few Saturday nights ago I was exposed to this crazy subculture, and I must say... it's pretty cool. I've taken in about 5 or 6 shows and within a month I'll have most of my friends and family members devirginized.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    'Tis good stuff... I haven't been to one in a while though... :meh: not enough free time, and I dunno what time and where they show around here, if at all.

3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I found my Rocky Horror venue on You might be surprised. I was too when I found out that it's performed only 15 minutes from my house.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    my local show is wieners out. i havent seen it.

great flick, though.
  5. I was Frank N Furter in the floor show back about ten years ago, when the local art house movie theatre used to show it on Friday nights... it was great fun. The theatre just closed, and they sadly stopped showing it a few years ago; I live in southern CT, and the last place that was showing it up until last year was a theatre in South Norwalk, and I didn't have the time or the funds to take the train down there once a week. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find this one on movie screens; but if you can find one that will allow an impromptu floor show (most of the do, with at least one restriction-- we weren't allowed to bring water pistols, for example, because of the fire alarm's sprinkler system) go for it. It's a blast, highly recommended.
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Old habits die hard, I guess.

I got caught in the rage back in 1978 in Ottawa.
  7. My guitarist used to be Dr. Scott in the local Natick Flick cast 20 years ago... good times. :bassist:
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I tried really hard to like it. I've done the midnight thing in Boston, I've been to the 'all out' showings...I even dated someone who performed professionally in a stage version.

It really bores me to death...If I don't just fall asleep about half way through.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The one time I went to one of those it was sponsored by the geek club at my university (can't remember what the club was actually called...I think it was a fantasy sci-fi club or something) so all the people putting it on were these geeks who, when they got together, were pretty insufferable. And the girl dressed as columbia was this fat chick who was rubbing up on me at one point. I guess you could say the whole think kinda turned me off to that scene. It's really not my thing anyway...

brad cook
  10. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I go more for the people than anything else. It exposes you to a LOT of... er... "different" people. Coming from the suburbs, it's a huge culture shock.
  11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I used to be the usher making sure people didn't get the eggs, ketchup and more past the front door. This was back in '85 in Manchester, CT. I was kinda shocked the first time I saw how fervently the fans were of this movie, but it did make it interesting. We made special cast cards for the regular actors who got in for free.

It was really cool checking out the crazy nightlife in our area. We had the RHPS scene in one theater, either The Wall or The Song Remains the Same in another and crazy movies like A Clockwork Orange / Eraserhead / Splatter University / Dawn/Day of the Dead in the 3rd theater. I still remember when we got Heavy Metal to play in the 800 seat theater. Since my friend & I worked there, we got the projectionist to crank up the movie. You could clearly hear the movie outside the building. We hung out in the front row all lit up and in total awe of just how cool this movie was. :)

Another time we poked pinholes in glowsticks and sprayed the whole theater for a showing of The Wall. It was like watching Pink Floyd from space. :)

Oh yeah, back on topic; turns out my wife got into the RHPS scene about a year or so after I left the theater. She was part of the cast and played Magenta. :)
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My girlfriend in high school was all into it (she played Columbia) so I'd gone with her a few times. And another girl (who played Janet) while I was in college. I think I last saw the movie 12 (man, it's been that long!?) years ago when I was at a party over at my old neighbor's place, when in a drunken moment we decided to put it on.
  13. peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I went through that phase. Still like the music.
  14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I saw it twice.

Didn't like it either time. But the wings were delicious at the place.
  15. I've seen the movie around... 20 times or more. I saw the play for the first time last Halloween. I've never been to a Midnight showing though.

Does anyone know if they do it every Saturday in NYC somewhere? Because I'm heading down there at the end of August and the group I'm going with would probably be in a agreement that we all go see it.

I've even got a corset for Rocky purposes.
  16. My Guitarist used to be in the cast (the Doctor in the wheelchair) and I did audience participation often. Good times waaay back when.

Miss it at times.
  17. I play the movie every Holloween ..............LOUD!! :bassist:

I saw it once in the theater, that was enough for me :rollno:
  18. peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    "I've even got a corset for Rocky purposes."

Any pics?
  19. Rattman

Jul 3, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca.
    Is that the cult movie where EVERYONE interacts with the dialog? Throwing toast, answering the actors on the screen and all sorts of over-the-top stuff like that? I think I ran into that once in a common area in a barracks on Diego Garcia .. I had NO IDEA what was going on, so I just kept on walking (quickly), afraid to look back in-case I might be asked to participate!!
  20. stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    shot in my hometown...There are some really dedicated groups locally. There is this new 'retro' theater that does the Saturday shows often and it usually seems packed.

I mean its interesting and all that...but the devotion ive seen blows my mind.

anyway...its kind of a hometown pride thing i guess.