Rocky Horror Picture Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm intersested to know if anyone is a fan of the movie. It's one of those cult movies, that only true fans understand. The music is excellent (ovbiously, Time Warp is irresistible). The bass playing is just beautiful. I would like to know who plays...

Anyway, I'd like to read some of your views on this subject.

2. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Haha, I once watched it 5 times in two weeks...
  3. The great Joe Osborn, I believe.

Joe's the man IMO...he gives me shivers sometimes. Great tone!
  4. I just made a search...

Dave Wintour is the bass player.

I never heard of him. If anyone has, please inform us a little.

About the movie, TV stations here always show it on Halloween. I always plan on buying the DVD and watch it with some friends. I'm that kind of guy, who likes those cheezy, yet fun cult movies, with great music.

I never went to those Midnight Shows at theatres. If anyone has, please, I really like to know about it.
  5. I saw the theatre version in the theatre (er... yeah) in November last - it was fantastic, a great night out, dancing in the aisles (sp?) etc.

I noticed the bass playing then too - all the music was pre-recorded (though the singing was live.
  6. Love the film, and have been to the stage show once - about 10 years ago. It was really well done!

The music in the film is great - the musicianship is really good. The bassline for Time Warp has me tied up in knots - I'm still trying to learn it!

Sweet Transvestite is a great song as well - and Tim Curry is fantastic as Frankenfurter! :)

The DVD with the voice over from Riff-Raff (Richard O'Brien) and Magenta (can't remember her at the mo') is really funny.:)

Sad part about it is Christopher Biggins is one of the weirdo dancers in the film!:eek:
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I love 'Rocky Horror'! In fact I've taken to learning the basslines to all the songs to it. My bass teacher and I were just listening to the movie soundtrack yesterday! Hehe :D I think I've seen the movie almost 200 times (I used to count way back in the day but seem to have lost count LOL). I also used to write for a Rocky Horror newsletter and have come to know so many great ppl in the circuit. *sigh* I miss those days. Maybe I'll have to dig out my old Magenta costume. :)

I had posted a thread not too long ago up in Bassists about Joe Osborn. He played bass with the Roxy Cast in NYC.

Do we have any "Shock Treatment" fans here as well?
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've played that show many times. The best was an eleven show run we did right after 9/11, to coincide with Halloween. I guess people were ready for some levity at that point. We're doing a bunch of shows again this year, here and in Honolulu. It's always fun to do.

My friend Mike Buono was the original live drummer for the show, with Tim Curry. He said playing it at the Roxy was pretty insane.

For me, one of the best parts is looking up from the pit and staring into the business end of a bunch of gorgeous young women in lingerie.
  9. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    That's so awesome Marcus!

I would love to play bass for a live cast. I have a few CDs of casts (like the Roxy cast, the original London cast, etc.) and I think that's what got me to wanting to learn the songs. More the stage shows than the movie.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'd guess that you would probably have the inside track on that gig, given your background. If you've never played a show band before, it's a good place to start, as there's nothing too difficult in the score. The live band that we used the last few times was considerably more slammin' and loud than what you hear on the movie soundtrack, as you would expect.

This year, we're going to probably do maybe thirty shows. After that, I'm going almost directly into a production of "Tommy". Should be totally deaf by the end of the year....
  11. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Marcus - I was just going to post asking you about the variations btw. your live basslines for Rocky Horror compared to the movie soundtrack. What I am learning I am limiting to the soundtrack at the moment (as a starting point). But I realize from the few cast albums I have that the songs differ from cast to cast. Basslines differ, tempos differ, etc. That's what makes it unique and exciting.

So, anyway, how did you get into the live band? Is it because you have stage experience elsewhere and perform with different musicals (I see you mentioned "Tommy") or was Rocky Horror where you started?
  12. Actually, Joe was the bass player in the famous Roxy theatre cast of the show that predated the movie. David Wintour played bass for the movie cuts. Dennis Cowan was the bass player in the original London cast production in 1973.

For more than you'd ever want to know about the different versions of the music and show, try this site:

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
  13. A little I found through some searches on Dave Wintour:

1970's- sideman with...Neil Sedaka!:p
    1975 - Rocky Horror Picture Show
    1977 - recorded with Eric Carmen (Boats Against the Current LP)
    1982-84 - with The Pretty Things (recorded Live at the Heartbreak Hotel)
    1983 - recorded with John Verity (Interrupted Journey LP)
    1988-90 - with Stan Webb's Chicken Shack (recorded Simply Live LP)
    1994 - joined ex-Chicken Shack and Pretty Things keyboard player David Wilkinson's Rockets

Looks like a typical studio/journeyman's resume.

edit - Recently: ***Dave "Squire" Wintour has been playing bass with the Wurzels for a few years now, and was formerly a member of Paul Jones' Blues Band, the Pretty Things and various other bands. You may sometimes see his name spelt (incorrectly) Winter. He played bass on the 1973 Rick Wakeman album The Six Wives Of Henry VIII. He also played bass on some of the sessions for the legendary and much sought-after Pete Atkin album The Road Of Silk. Dave also lives in the West Country. ****

Other credits include playing bass on some of the original cuts from "Tommy" (and I thought the Ox played them all!) a brief stint with Stealer's Wheel, sessions with Ian Gillan (of Deep Purple)...etc etc
  14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Stephanie, I got the Rocky gig pretty much the same as all of my other work, over the phone! I'm guessing I got the call because I could read well and follow a bandleader. It's not my first show work, I've been in the business for thirty years (I'm 46). I usually do a couple of shows a year, but it doesn't provide me with the amount of income that other live work, studio work, or even touring does. I do enjoy it as a diversion. In May, I'll be doing a short run of "Phantom Of The Opera" on double bass.

Ironically, I was only able to do the 2001 run of Rocky as a result of 9/11, since most of my scheduled work at the the time was cancelled after the WTC attack.
  15. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks for the info Marcus :)

I have a long way to go by ways of experience. I've only been playing bass for 3 years and have yet to even be in a band LOL.
  16. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

I've seen the movie on television several times, attended a midnight show once - actually took a date to that one, and went to school with a real fanatic... he had several vhs copies in various languages and / or with foreign subtitles!

Currently, as of early March 20th, I'm performing in a show that features the infamous "Time Warp" as the closing number for our 1st Act.

After searching high and low for sheet music scores of that tune, I was finally forced to actually sit down and transcribe the bass line... yes, as already mentioned, it is well written and a hoot play. Although, being a showtune, it's written in Ab. We're playing it in A... need I say, transcribing it wasn't the easiest of tasks?

michael s.
  17. Very cool, Ziggy! I hope one day I can do the same thing you did: Sit down, and just learn that song. I'm still in the very early stages of the bass playing learning process. I'll put it on my "Long-Term To-Do" list.

I also wished I knew people who like the movie as much as I do. I would really love to go the midnight screening one day. I pretty sure it is featured a few number of times during the year in a big city like Montreal.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's really great to interact with fans of the movie and its music.

18. Ughhh Ive never seen this movie nor do I ever want to. My Ex-girlfriend was a complete Fanatic over this movie and talked about it all the time. And plus she's like the biggest Tim Curry fan in the FREAKING WORLD!!! Although I told her numerous times ive never seen it, she would just go on and on and on about it. DROVE ME INSANE!!! That my friends is why I never want to see the movie, I could probably tell you the entire plot now and not have even seen a tid bit of it.
  19. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Isn't it originally in the Key of A? The movie version is anyway, I think...
  20. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

The 'movie' version may very well be in 'A'... the copy I have, is on a compilation disc put together by our vocal Director. As I understand it, however, having played other 'showtunes', there are several different 'stage' versions that may vary according to where they're from.

My copy is likely a 'theatrical' number from one of the 'staged' productions.

Short of tuning down a half-step - so I could play it in 'A', but still have it correctly match the notes I'm hearing on the cd, I would take it 4 or 5 measures at a time. Then, stop and write it out a half-step higher than what I was playing. The main problem was that, whenever I would 'back up' to double check my transcription, I had to then 'read' the notation a half-step down from what I'd written!! A major pain the a#$...

While it is indeed easier to play in 'A' (it's 'bass'ically a rockn' boogie), the transcribing / transposing was a test of patience and notation reading skills... although, playing the lines as 'they are in the tune', is well worth the effort.

michael s.