Rod-like thumb rest (atlansia)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ploki, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ploki

Ploki

Jul 18, 2016
    Anything like this available after market?

or should i just get a rod from a random shop.

I was also thinking of a dummy string (you know for that "true" feeling). I'm really annoyed with thumb resting on the pickup + it greatly limits the sounds i can get out of the bass thumbrest.jpg

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I've not seen that on any other bass! Atlansia sure doesn't like to conform to the norm. I'd say you're going need to build it on your own. Just use a rod of very stiff material.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @blablas: "I just took a piece of stainless steel tube of 3 by 2.5 millimeters, flattened both ends, drilled two holes at the right center distance (distance between the two mounting screw in the pickup mounting rings) and countersunk these holes so the screw would fit in nicely."
    hofner-jpg.jpg
    dsc_5388-jpg.jpg
    Hofner Rewire.

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  4. Ploki

Ploki

Jul 18, 2016
    thanks for the link! I don't have mounting rings I'll see if i can somehow make use of the soapbar hole with longer screws.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Super classy. I love it.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You might be able to adapt glass standoff hardware to fulfill your desires.

Or just learn floating thumb to mute everything you don't want to ring and forget about extra hardware.

7. Ploki

Ploki

Jul 18, 2016
    interesting technique, but muting is not the issue. I already play more or less with a moving anchor and the problem is rest-stroke as opposed to free-stroke. I currently do my lowest string rest stroke on my thumb, but it seems clumsy.

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Free stroke? Resting stroke? Two techniques depending on which string is played? That's a lot of stuff to remember!

No wonder you want more hardware.

9. Ploki

Ploki

Jul 18, 2016
    Exactly! But because I by far prefer resting stroke i want to use this single technique on the lowest string as well. :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021