Rod Stewart's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 15, 2002.

1. anyone know who played bass for him?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think Ron Wood played on some of his earlier stuff

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ron Wood played some bass on Every Picture Tells A Story(the melodic bass on "Maggie May" is Wood).

Ronnie(RIP)Lane played w/ Stewart(& Wood) in The Faces(kinda a Rolling Stones' vibe).

I think Phil Chen also played with Stewart in the '70s(?). Chen is happenin'...check him out on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow(a '70s Rock-Jazz-Funk classic!).
  4. yep, chen did play with rod in the late 70s.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I believe Chen did the funky licks in "Hot Legs"...

And I admired Ron Wood's bass lines on the early Faces/Stewart songs. Nice meaty phat tone, too.
  6. Phil Chen also did the bass on "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" He was Rod's bassist around the late 70s and by the 80s he had moved on... I think...
  7. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Phil Chen was absolutely incredible.

Who could forget his classic chorused basslines in Rod's song "Passion" from his "Foolish Behavior" album? Chen is even listed as co-writer on that track.

"Somebody somewhere..........."
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    God, I have used that 'fill' or some facsimile thereof so many times!

Sorry, I gotta go back to Blow By Blow for a minute-
    I still remember the day I first heard that record.
    A friend's brother(the self-proclaimed Clapton down the street...the same guy who said, "Keller, you're hopeless" the very first night I had a bass)...bought it & invited me over.
    That first tune just blew me away! How come I couldn't count or feel where the bass was playing that note?!
    Anyway, that was in '75...back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Rod has always had good taste in bassplayers, he has been using Carmine Rojas for awhile. Carmine used to play with Bowie and is pretty much a pick player.
  10. Carmine Rojas' playing on Bowie's Let's dance is truly great stuff- "China Girl" and the title track being the best known, but the line on "Criminal world" is also a favourite of mine.

seeing as Nile Rodgers produced that album, and played guitar and used Chic drummer Tony Thompson on the album, it's interesting that he chose that abrasive sort of bass tone (Spector NS played with a pick).
    are there any standout basslines from Rojas with Rod Stewart?[
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's all about genres colliding & melding into something new, fresh, & different!
    (Hopefully, that is).
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I saw him this evening and could swear the bassist looks like Jason Newsted!
  13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Conrad Korsch in recent years.
  14. Pete Sears played bass on his first solo albums, I think....
  15. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That's mostly Ronnie Lane. Not to take away from Woody's great contributions, but it was mostly Guitar in the Faces- lots of good dobro work.
    WyreAndWood likes this.
  16. DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Carmine Rojas has been with Joe Bonamassa for a while now but yeah, Rod Stewart always had great bassists who played the right line for the song.

Phil Chen was remarkable on Jeff Becks' "Blow by Blow"...I must have 6 copies on vinyl of this classic....great record to play bass along with too.
  17. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

My only half speed master LP is Blow by Blow. Sounds other worldly! Phil is amazing on it. Saw Max Middleton a few times touring with Mick Taylor maybe 10 years ago, once in a small club.
  18. DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Hey I saw that Mick Taylor tour as well...Max Middleton didn't play at that show..."A Stones Throw" tour...Mick signed stuff for me too.

What was Phil Chen's gear in the 70's?
  19. DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    "Jim Capaldi - Short Cut Draw Blood"....Phil Chen plays on this record and this record is amazing....must have for Traffic fans.