Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rode NT-5 pair or AKG D112

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Sep 18, 2002.

1. AKG D112, because...

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. The Rode NT-5 pair, here's why...

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No get this "other" comparably priced mic instead!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can either the Rode NT-5 pair for 240$ or the AKG D112 for about 200$. The sole purpose will be to mic a bass cab. What would be the better choice and why? I've read good things about Rode and the AKG D112 in this forum. I'm thinking I'd be good either way, but the option of a stereo pair is attractive.

2. The AKG all the way. Great sound live and recording. It can handle high SPL and doesn't require phantom power to use it.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Stereo micing a bass cab with condensers? Isn't that overkill?

4. Yes, yes it is.

use the AKG

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes it is, I didn't think that through very far. What about being able to put one on the cone and one at a different angle? Farther back?

6. I'd rather blend a cab mic'd with a 112 and a DI myself.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I wish I could try them before I buy them. Most websites list mics as "non-returnable". I guess for obvious reasons.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd try the Rodes. I've had real good results with them (NT3 and yes, the NT1). Rik's Music has the NT5s at a really decent price. My AKG is fine, too. It's a 4000.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, per your comments and taking Oysterman's into account I bought an NT-3 from Rik's today, to be followed by the AKG later on. Thanks everyone.

10. Hey Munji and Blisshead. I'm about to buy a Røde NT3 for recording rehearsals into minidisc, and mic'ing up my cab in the studio and in live situations. Am I on the right way with that mic? Your experiences will be appreciated :)

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have very limited experience with my NT-3 so far, but from what I can tell, you are on the right track. I expected it to be good and was pleasantly surprised to find that it surpased those expectations. Keep in mind though, I've never had one of those uber mics that cost thousands of dollars. I don't know about the minidisc thing though, maybe Munji can help there?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure. The NT-3 is a condenser mic and requires phantom power. The good news is that it can be powered by its own internal 9V battery. My only fear for recording to a minidisc is that the output may be too hot. Also, because of the full frequency range of the mic (20 hz - 20 khz), it can be a little sibilant, necessitating the occasional judicious application of some EQ. I use it as a vocal mic, and love it. In fact, the lead vocalist in band #2 has hijacked it, so I'm stuck with the Beta 87.

I thought Blisshead was looking for a stereo set, which would be the NT-5. They come as a matched pair. I haven't tried them yet, but my guess is that they're better than half as good as the Neumann KM-184s, which cost over four times as much.

13. If I buy one it'll be the third NT3 in the band! Our two singers use them as well, so I hear you about using it for vocals, Munji. I'm gonna borrow one tonight and see if it records well (to minidisc). The other mic I considered this time was the Sony 907, but it seems the Røde is so much better.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was looking for a stereo pair, but you guys sor t of talked me into going at it the long way. (and ending up with a fuller case of good mics!)

15. JeffBarnett

JeffBarnett

Sep 26, 2002
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I've been a live sound guy for as long as I can remember. Rode makes some great mics. The NT5's sound incredible and are a great deal. But I would never take them on stage. And wouldn't fool with them on a bass cab in the studio, either. I'd pick the the D112 any day. Try blending it with a direct input.

That's not very fair. What if you don't like the way it sounds? You're stuck with it? The only mics I sell that are non-returnable are special orders. Anything I normally keep in stock, I'll be willing to take back if you don't like it. (Just don't break it - that's all I ask.)

Jeff Barnett
    Jeff_Barnett@sweetwater.com

Sweetwater
    5335 Bass Road
    Fort Wayne, IN 46808
    800 222 4700 ext. 1283
    www.sweetwater.com

No payments, No interest for 90 days
    Apply now at www.Sweetwater.com/allAccess

I am usually available 9am-6pm, M-F.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I know it's not fair, that's why I said "for obvious reasons". I forget sometimes that tone of voice doesn't come across in text format. ;)

17. JeffBarnett

JeffBarnett

Sep 26, 2002
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I guess I'm not seeing the obvious. What reason would a company have for taking your money and forcing you to keep an item that you're not happy with? It's not good customer service. Why wouldn't they want to keep you as a future customer by allowing you to return the mic for a refund, or at the very least exchange it for something else?

Jeff Barnett
    Jeff_Barnett@sweetwater.com

Sweetwater
    5335 Bass Road
    Fort Wayne, IN 46808
    800 222 4700 ext. 1283
    www.sweetwater.com

No payments, No interest for 90 days
    Apply now at www.Sweetwater.com/allAccess

I am usually available 9am-6pm, M-F.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Do'h I missed your original point, sorry. The explaination I got was that companies don't want to be "renting" out expensive mics, or even $150-350 mics. The person I talked to (not at Riks, btw) said they had a lot of problems with people returning mics they had dropped or otherwise damaged. I can damage any equipment! :D I agree with you on the customer service point
    BTW, is there a new EV dynamic kick mic that we should be looking at? I heard a rumor they just came out with one that eats the d112 alive, but the drummer didn't know what the model was.

19. I would only pick up the condensors if you already have a DI option available. Otherwise the D112 all the way.

I only say this because the only use I have for condensors on bass is to pick up those really low frequencies from a distance. For example, I use the direct out of my preamp, then put a D112 on one of my 10s, close. Sometimes I'll put a condensor near the floor, back a few feet, on my 15 to pick up some smooth bottom (I use a Shure KSM 32 for this). Then I record all three tracks (after checking for phase issues) for use as a glorified EQ. Most of the time the direct and the D112 are enough. The condensor is more for effect or fun.

This is definately one of those things that depends on your style and technique.