Rode this today!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    All I can say is WOW!

Name: Top Thrill Dragster
    Location: Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio (on Lake Erie, near Cleveland)
    Scheduled Debut: May, 2003
    Height: 420 feet
    Drop: 400 feet
    Speed: 120 mph
    Angle of Ascent and Descent: 90 degrees (as in straight up and down, as in you can't get any steeper!)
    Type of Coaster: Steel Hydraulic Launch, able to go from 0 to 120 mph in about 4 seconds
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    When I was there, the line was 4 hours long. It wasn't worth it. How long was your wait?

I had more fun going on Raptor, Magnum, and Gemini in the time span it would have taken to just ride the Top Thrill Dragster.

It looks awesome though ;)
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The sign at the entrance said there was a 4 hour wait, but I believe this is to prepare you for the worst....since there is a LOT of downtime on the ride, due to hydraulics. We had an hour of downtime in our wait, but we were still on it just over 2 hours. WELL worth it.

Some things are simply aggrivating thought. When it is hot out in the direct sun, and a non moving would think they would have water nearby to keep people from dehydrating. Nope, that cuts into their profits for on bottled water. $2.50 for a friggin 20 oz bottle of WATER! You would also think if they are gouging you $2.50 for a few sips of water, the damn machines would accept a $5. NOPE. A teenage kid had a pretty bad seizure in line right in front of us, and I imagine the heat, and no hydration had a lot to do with it. Ok, rant over.....back on subject.

I really didn't want to wait 4 hours in line, and the woman certainly did not. I figured it had been quite some time since I had been there, and I wanted to ride the damn thing. As crazy as it may sound, this ride is well worth the wait, it is awesome.

Gemeni, magnum, and raptor are definitely cool, but the millenuim force, and top thrill dragster are by far in a league of their own, nothing comes close! 0-120 in 4 seconds, and a 420 foot climb straight up, then straight back down is the most impressive 20 seconds you are likely to spend in your life!
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like roller coasters, and thrill rides, but I hate all the lines and general ambience of a theme park.

whenever you get to a theme park with minimal lines, that is awesome, but rare.

I still generally stay away from theme parks and all that stuff, generally not worth the amount of waiting and down time.

I remember waiting in line for like 2 hours at magic mountain once, for batman's revenge or whatever, riddler's revenge, one of those, the ride was neat, but not worht the wait.
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yea, the waits can suck, but I don't get there too often, and usually the thrills is worth the wait. I am sore from miles of walking, spent a bunch of money, and burnt to a crisp, but we had a blast.

Did I mention I saw bare nipples on a couple different occassions today? Amusement parks rule :D
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Tim, that looks freaking awesome, they need to put one in Dorney Park
  7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The last time i was at cedar point, the millenium force was the biggest coaster there. We got there pretty early, and the wait was like a half hour. It was an amazing roller coaster though. It was so much fun.

I have waited about 2 hours for a roller coaster in the heat, its horrible. THen the guy with lemonade and popcorn for 2.50 came by, but i didnt have any money, then after the ride, i stopped at a vending machine, but the soda and water in that were alsdo 2.50. I was so mad.
  8. I go to Six Flags New England with the school band on competitions, so once a year I get to go. Usually, while were there, there are no lines. It took me 5 minutes to wait in line for Superman-Ride of Steel. But of course, this is when we first get to the park. As the day goes on, and more bands come, it gets worse. But not that worse, since it usually happens on a friday. I've always worn shorts with velcro pockets, so I can sneak in my game boy while waiting in line, or a pocket book ( I read "The Call Of Chutulu" once inline for Batman-The Dark Knight coster :D ). Still, that coaster looks like it's alot of fun. How long did it take to get to the top?
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Millenuim force is awesome, my vision actually started blacking out on it for some reason, never had that happen before.....but it was awesome (I think) :D
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I went to Cedar Point when the Corkscrew was brand new.....damn.

11. Thats awesome dude. I went one one at California Adventure, that new park next to Disney Land and it is freakin crazy! You get in then it takes u around this little bend then you sit there...and then all of a sudden you hear this loud ass gong noise and you shoot off right at this hill and there is all these twists and turns and drops and loops. It was well worth the 1.5 hour wait!
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Almost forgot my goodies of the day: Scoob was won on a $5 game (on about the 15th try lol) The kingston fretless was waiting for me when I got home. Today was the most fun I've had in a long time!

13. WOW! Dude, you scored big today! Congrats.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What was more fun than the Gemini was taking my son on it! As we went down the first big hill he cried.

When the ride was over, he said: "...can we go again?"
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's cool.

i can't ride roller coasters anymore because of my back. :(
  16. That scooby friggin' rules!!!!

Well worth the $75 he cost.