Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rodent control issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rustyshakelford, Dec 12, 2002.

1. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    My employer did two things recently:
    - replaced a pasture with a parking lot
    - cut a whole in the wall where the new door will be

So, now we have a mouse problem. Some sections of the building are finding lots of mice. The guy next to me had one in his top drawer. Mouse poop everywhere. Mouse made a run for it and is still on the lam (somewhere inthe vicinity).

1. What should I do?
    I have not seen any mice in my cube. However, there is no papers,clutter, food, etc., . I put sticky traps everywhere. What about one of those ultrasonic devices? (I am not referring to a guitar here, I mean those devices designed to purge mice).

2. Isn't this like trying to get the pee out of the pool?
    Don't mice breed like mad? Via traps, etc., we can lower the carrying capacity, but short of a pied piper or a mouser, is there no way to eliminate the mice?

Thank you.

RS

2. - Isolated efforts (traps in your cube) won't work. Your employer should address this and get everyone in the builiding to cooperate. Mice do spead disease and your employer could be liable if the issue is not addressed.

- Mice are commensal creatures, they seek the same things we do - food / water / shelter / warmth. As much as possible, eliminate #'s 1 and 2 to make it unattractive for them to hang out where you work. No food at desks etc etc.

- Eliminate "ports of entry". The large hole you referred to should be sealed up but also any other entry ways - mice can squeeze through holes the size of a nickel. Example - inspect airducts, wiring etc - block them up with steel wool.

- If you decide to trap them, do not lay traps all at once and wait for captures. If they sense that a fellow rodent got "whacked" in your cube, they will just avoid it and find other ways to go about their business. Rather, leave unset traps lying around for a few days, maybe even bait the traps and get them used to feeding from them. One night, set all of the traps and get ready for clean up the next morning.

- If you bait, make sure the bait does not get moist. They can be picky about what they choose to nosh on. Keep a fresh supply of bait going.

- I wouldn't put too much faith in ultrasonic devices.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Call Dale Gribble. ;)

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Good idea. Never thought about it like that, but it seems like it would work. My dad's house is having a minor problem outdoors with mouse (a zero-lot line sort of house). I might tell him about that and see if it works.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I had a slightly different problem. Rats around my parents house. Poisoning I didn't want to do, painful and indiscriminate! I bought an air rifle! (Yeah I know you can't do this at your work!)

Well, I've bagged 2 definites, and one possible (they apear through a slatted fence at the back of my folks, that it at the top of an overgrown railway embankment!) I wanted it to be over quick for them, and as painless as possible! One didn't die instantly and squealed like hell - I think that may have scared any others off - I haven't seen any other since.

I felt bad about the last one, 'cos I hurt it so much. By the time I had run out into the garden (whilst reloading the rifle) it was dead! At least it didn't suffer long.

My father told me a story told to him by one of his work mates. If you want rid of rats, catch one in a cage trap (isn't too difficult he says). Douse it with petrol and light it! The rats screams scare the rest off for a good while! Then you can take care of the food/water/shelter issues!

I thought thta story was sick - just sounds horrible!

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Solution = Office Cat , BTW the very BEST bait for traps is Chocolate , believe it or not!

:)

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    WQell, I think that's why the rats became a nuisance at my folks house! They had 2 tom cats - one died a year ago (he was nearly 18 years old), and his brother (who is working on 19 years old) has become a major league house/lap cat!

So the rats appeared - hence the air rifle!

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    I must admit to using an air rifle in the garden on the rats!
    A supertuned Webley Vulcan carbine with a home made laser sight, drop the red dot on them and they stand no chance!
    :)

9. some other points:

- anything with a high sugar content (chocolate, peanut butter etc) seems to tickle their fancy.

- the air rifle approach will only get rid of the ones you see - generally for these animals there's a multiple rule - for every one you see there are upwards of 5 that you don't...

- in the US you can buy bait stations that prevent other animals from partaking in poison should you choose to use it.

- glue traps are the most cruel of methods for dispatching rodents - they will chew off their limbs to get free or struggle to no avail and throw themselves into cardiac arrest

- please don't try the burning rat trick - not only is it incredibly cruel, at most it'll just make them avoid the scene of the "burning"

10. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    What kind of a breed of wussies are we raising??? Are we so worked up in this MTV induced, everything has rights, gently coax the mouse out attitude that we can no longer kill them? I dont know about you but if it has more than 2 legs and is eating my food and crapping on my floor I am going to kill it. It seems that in this one size(lawsuit) fits all society we are so scared of causing some kind of harm to anything or anyone within shouting distance of a lawyer that we won't even resort to poison, which we find the most humane way to kill humans with, mind you, to kill a rodent. I am sure that you people may think you can talk this over with the mice over a triple-latte at starbucks, but where I come from, we kill things. You may now begin thinking of your ill-fated redneck jokes and contacting the ACLU.

11. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I thought the idea of a rat burning was interesting.

I remember my old house had a rat problem, we used mouse traps.

If you think burnnig a rat is cruel what do you think of mouse traps then? Die of fire or of broken back by a high speed clamp... either way you're dead.

12. dead is dead ....

but a broken neck / back is quicker than burning / choking to death.

i would recommend bait / poison for a widespread problem but only if there are no pets / children / non target animals who can get into it.

13. We had a really bad ground squirrel problem here, because of the Macadamia and other fruit trees we have ..The squirrels and the tree rats love maccadamia nuts, my dogs love to chase squirrels...So I guess the neighbors had enuogh of the detructive squirrels, so they put out those bait stations. we haven't seen any squirrels or rats since.

Fetch!

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I like the laser sight idea!!! I actually had great difficulty zeroing in my scope! I actually had to aim the cross hairs above the target to hit them!!!! I think the scope mount needs some work, as the vertical fine adjust was at it's maximum - and I am only firing form about 5 metres!

Oh, and for the comments about burnig them - no, I could never do something that cruel. I think that would be a horrible way to go!!! But one well placed slug and whammo - doesn't know what hit it!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You can't control us. Your best bet is to pay us "tribute", and hope that we will make your miserable existance a little more pleasant!

16. Nuke them from orbit--it's the only way to be sure.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    In college we lived in an old field mice infested farm house. We each (5 of us) got 6 typical mouse traps and used peanut butter. We kept score and, no lie, whacked over 60 in the first few weeks.

What the poison bait does is make them dehydrated and in theory they will leave the building to look for water and die outside. However, I've used the poison bait and ended up with dead mice inside the house. Nasty.

If you are PETA you can buy traps that don't kill. I'm not sure how they work but I've used the larger animal version and it worked quite well.

18. No-kill traps are idiotic--the mice will come back anyway, since most of them can't survive in the wild.

Sometimes you just have to kill things.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Somtimes"? Killing's ALWAYS the first option! Okay, I'm ready for the picket lines!.

20. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    the very BEST bait for traps is Chocolate

yep. Or else bite a jelly bean in half and mash it onto the trigger of the trap. Peanut butter comes off too easy. Mini snickers bars work great too especially since you have to eat most of it before you put the last little piece on the trap.

Glue traps are just wrong.