1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rodger Glover “endorses” Squier bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Savagehenry, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Savagehenry

Savagehenry Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Northern Illinois
    I just read an article online, from GuitarWorld.com. In it, Glover talks about his 27 year association with Vigier basses.
    While recording with producer Bob Ezrin, Bob gave him a personal old P bass he owns, complete with DEAD old strings. Ezrin tells him that THAT bass, with strings never changed, has been on Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel and Alice Cooper recordings. Tony Levin used this. Glover ended up loving it, how it sounded and recorded in the studio, and reminded him of his early days playing Fenders.
    So he went to Nashville, and went shopping....
    He said he looked at a bunch of P basses. They were $6000-$7000 basses, and he found them “Floppy on the bottom end.”
    Then a salesperson handed him another P, “in bright pink, like a salmon!”
    To quote him,
    “How much is this one? And it turns out to be a $300 Squier, and it is brilliant! I was knocked out, it’s so lovely! When I play bass at home, it’s usually the one I pick up.”
    Sorry for the length, I don’t know how to link stuff.:unsure:

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    [Me-thinks: weird tuning. Or...Wait a min-/ Oooh, OK...]

Vinny_G, viper4000, TrustRod and 32 others like this.
  3. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    A great instrument is a great instrument. It doesn’t matter what it cost, if it suits the need or desire its a great instrument.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    So he went to Nashville, and went shopping....
    He said he looked at a bunch of P basses. They were $6000-$7000 basses, and he found them “Floppy on the bottom end.”

(Not sure if I believe this.)

To quote him,
    “How much is this one? And it turns out to be a $300 Squier, and it is brilliant! I was knocked out, it’s so lovely! When I play bass at home, it’s usually the one I pick up.”

(I do like Squier basses, I simply question the need to always say they're better than much more expensive Fenders. There are good ones, of course, but...)

mikeyjm2, Spidey2112, GregC and 9 others like this.
  5. What springs to mind, maybe, is a fiesta red Classic Vibe. They tend to be very nice basses, the vintage sound is great, and I'd certainly happily noodle around with one at home any day.

Instruments are very personal things. Maybe for him it was the best bass he tried all day. If so, I'm happy for him, it's a much better feeling falling in love with a 300-range instrument than one closer to 3000, in my experience!

shojii, tindrum, -Asdfgh- and 9 others like this.
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yeah, a $300 Squier beat $6,000 - $7,000 basses. Yup. I believe that. No agenda here. Happens all the time ... just not in the real world. We've skipped right over "my Squier beats up your Sadowsky" and gone to "My Squier beats your Alembic, Fodera, etc., etc., etc."

eye role jessica.gif

mdogs, Hypercaffium, tindrum and 22 others like this.
  7. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    What agenda? :bored:

In the article, he discussed adding P basses to his usual instruments (Vigier), and happened to like a Squier better than a bunch of expensive vintage Fender Ps. (You do know Squier is made by Fender, right?) He doesn't have an endorsement deal with Fender.

shojii, 96tbird, Ikkir and 14 others like this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You need to read this again. No where in the OP's post does it say these were either "vintage" or "fender" basses. You know companies other than Fender make P basses, right?

Also Chevrolet makes the Spark and the Corvette. You know they are different cars, right? :D

9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I glanced over the article and I didn't get a sense of an agenda. I don't recall Glover endorsing anything from Fender/Squier. I don't really recall him playing any high end basses other then Vigier. The last time I walked into a store with cash to burn on a USA Fender I walked out with a VM Squier so I have no problem believing that this story is plausible.

10. ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    You need to read the article.

“In fact, I was so impressed with Bob’s [battered P] that I went out and bought one in Nashville. I tried half a dozen vintage P-Basses, all of which were going for $6,000 or $7,000, and I wasn’t impressed.

“They were a bit floppy in the bottom end and I was about to give up, but then the guy said ‘Try this one’ and gave me another Precision. Bright pink, like a salmon, and I said ‘How much is that?’ It turned out to be a $300 Squier, and it is brilliant. I was knocked out, it’s so lovely. When I play a bass at home, that’s usually the one that I pick up.”...

So does a P-Bass appear on the new album? “Yes, I played a Precision on most of the tracks. I only use the Vigier when I need to move higher, because it’s slightly easier to play, but I do love the Precision. For the stage, I’ll stick with my Vigier; a Precision sounds meatier in the studio, while the Vigier sounds more precise, with more of a modern bass sound.”...

How does it work with Vigier, we ask – do they send Glover a bass on request? “Yes, when I ask for one. If I say ‘Hey Patrice [Vigier, company owner], can you send me a fretless?’, he does. But I don’t bother him that much.”

I have no idea what you're trying to prove. It's pretty obvious though that Glover didn't have an agenda. He just told a story about preferring a cheap bass (possibly the CV 50s P) to expensive ones.

cdef, 96tbird, babsobass and 11 others like this.
  11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Sounds like a Squier CV 60s Precision in Fiesta Red.
    I had one (fire victim), and it was magical.

96tbird, Bleecker, kobass and 6 others like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Cool story. It's not about what costs more or looks best or has more features. It's about what meets his needs and expectations. That it costs less than he's expecting is great, goes to show that value is esoteric.

MarMar, murphy, TN WOODMAN and 5 others like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    My comment was based on the original post. I did not go and look up the entire article, which there was no link to. Pardon me for forming an opinion based on the facts as posted. :rollno:

My point about Chevys is that you say Fender makes Squier as if that means something. Companies don't put the same quality of materials or craftsmanship in their cheap line as they do in their high end line. It aint rocket science. ;)

Roger can believe what he wants, it's a free country. And the Squier circle J--- goes on.

mdogs, Auspuff, leto and 1 other person like this.
  14. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I heard he’s on a budget so this makes sense.

kobass, murphy, TN WOODMAN and 3 others like this.
  15. Or...did Fender tell him to piss off at some point when he demanded free stuff? We'll never know. By his own admission he gets free stuff from Vigier on demand, and probably has for the last 27 years, who knows.

Or maybe he's become money-conscience and let that sweet $300 price tag trigger a confirmation bias.

Or maybe he refuses to buy into the overblown "vintage" hype, and would feel like a fool for paying $7000 for a Fender P bass.

Or maybe he lurks on Talkbass and got propagandized by the Cult Of Squier. lol

TrustRod, mexicant, murphy and 2 others like this.
  16. ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    Then you should have read my post, which stated "In the article..."

Yes, we know. No one is saying otherwise. In fact, that's why the anecdote is amusing in the first place.

There is no "agenda" here that is somehow deeply misrepresenting anyone or anything.

cdef, TrustRod, 31HZ and 4 others like this.
  17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Bolding is mine. I think vintage is the important word here. He isn't comparing thousand dollar custom basses to a squire, he is comparing vintage basses whose only value may be that they are old.

96tbird, GregC, scuzzy and 4 others like this.
  18. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The only Squier I would ever play would be the Squiers made in Japan in 1983/84. I have owned several over the years. And I believe they are fine instruments. I can mot say that about the present Squier Fenders. I believe its the wallet talking over the mind.

I end by saying playing a cheap bass doesn't make you a bad player no more than playing an expensive bass makes you a great player.

minimalist freedom and murphy like this.
  19. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I love inexpensive basses that set up, sound and play well.

But,,,, Boutique basses have their nitch.