1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rods graphite, steel? What do you use?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Yellow, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    I am gluing up my neck and ordering a trussrod, I am wondering if I should use graphite rods or I hear some use steel rods.

It is a 5 string Walnut/Maple/walnut/maple/Walnut lamination
    Neck through if that makes any difference.

What are your thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm curious as well. The 5 I just finished doesn't have any rods and seems fine, but my next 5 project I'm wondering if I should use some....
    It'll be a neckthrough with purpleheart and wenge, both of which are pretty darn strong, so I'm wondering if I even need to use them or not??
    Curious to hear people's thoughts.

3. graphite, IMO does not seem to add 'stiffness' to the neck, but rather density which helps with deadspots. Heck, two of my most adjustable necks have CF on them!

What is the reason why you wanna put those in there?

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I dont bother with CF rods anymore on 4-6 string basses with multi-laminate necks. My 6 fretless has 2 CF rods in it and that neck is too hard to adjust. The one trus rod would have been enough.

5. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Yes it is the dead spots I dont like, my present bass has CF rods and I like it a lot, I am not worried about stifness but stability and notes.

I saw on Warmoth site that they use steel rods steel is much more resonant then CF/graphite are there advantages to using steel?

I am thinking just the regular StewMac 1/4 x 3/8 on each side of the trussrod

6. although more expensive, it'll save you headaches with neck weight, so use CF.

7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I used to make use of CF bars in all of my necks, but have been making a few necks CF free lately due to client request.

There are places where you can purchase the CF bars in long lengths and in bulk, but for doing one to five necks ordering cut to length bars from LMI and/or StewMac is much simpler.

all the best,

R

8. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I don't use any inserts in my instruments. I usually build wide spaced fives with flatsawn maple and up to this point I have had no reason to re-enforce my necks with anything.

9. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Do all you guys use double action trussrods now-a -days?

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    yessir, only dual action rod for me ... only have had one occasion where I needed the bump in reverse, but was I ever glad to have the capability when I needed it!

all the best,

R

11. I also only use dual action, but it has saved me on several occasions, especially when you store the bass in a cold place (which tends to insert a backbow).

12. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Cool I will put an order in at Stewmac.

Oh, one more thing, what is the desired length for a 35" scale

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021