1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rogatien with Rattlesnake @ Rock Fest for Mental Awareness

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rogatien, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Last night was the sixth edition of the Rock Fest for Mental Awareness, the event lasts 4 days with various bands, all genres, all styles. It started last Thursday, it's ending tonight. We were scheduled to play Saturday night (last night) around 6:30. It's a good cause, we played for free, beers and food were provided. We don't do that kind of event very often (no paycheck) but it was a good way to meet various folks, build up an interesting network, close to home and mostly, it's a good deed.

The monitoring on stage wasn't good, but in the the front it was stellar. One huge stage divided in 2: while a band is performing on one side, the next band to play can setup their gear without rushing. Despite the poor monitoring, I think it was one hell of a show we gave them. Now, the obligatory pictures:

This one is a "band selfie" backstage, 5 mins before showtime: from left to right: Dany on guitar, Eric on drums, yours truly on bass, Pat our singer and Louis on lead guitar. Strangely, we almost had the same order on stage. IMG_3283.JPG

Stage shot:
    IMG_3268.JPG

More shots. Sorry no food pics, we decided to head to my place and order pizza after our set:
    IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG IMG_3282.JPG IMG_3281.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3274.JPG

Also sorry: no babe pics. There was a couple of those but it seems the person taking pictures didn't bother.

It went well, we rocked pretty hard our one hour set. It was a lot of fun, crowd was great and the beer was... Well, you know.

Oddly, Wisebass, McG and 15 others like this.
  2. Looks fun! What genre/era?

nixdad and Sore Thumb like this.
  3. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    This looks like an awesome event and thanks for donating your time to a good event!:thumbsup:

Nice gig report!

nixdad and Sore Thumb like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Rogatien,

A power stance, a bass face, and beer! What else do you need for a good gig? Nice work!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Wisebass, Sore Thumb, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  5. Sort of off topic, but there is a woman named Neyla Pekarek who used to be a member of The Lumineers. She played Saturday at our big festival, the New West Fest. She just recorded an album that has a theme. All of the songs have something to do with rattlesnakes. I only heard a couple of the songs but they were interesting stories. Out here in the west, we do have a lot of rattlesnakes!

6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, thanks for the post. Looks like fun! (Bass faces flat WORK, man!)

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  7. Great look!

nixdad likes this.
  8. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    We're a tribute band - remember the american rock/alt/grungy band from York, Pennsylvania called Live? Well, we cover their work. Maybe the name doesn't ring a bell but here's a few songs that used to play a lot: Lightning Crashes, Lakini's Juice, The Dolphin's Cry, Selling The Drama...

9. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx man! I think sometimes you gotta do the right thing, plus it was a lot of fun!

10. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx BassCliff, always appreciate your comments! Yeah the bass face, I think this one is going to follow me for a long time!!

Sore Thumb, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  11. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx man!! It was a lot of fun!!

Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  12. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    You mean us (our faces) or the stage?! ;)

Thx man!

Jimmy4string likes this.
  13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "I Alone" is a killer...and I was just recently revisiting Mental Jewelry. Check out "Pain Lies On The Riverside".

nixdad likes this.
  14. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    We chose to call ourselves Rattlesnake in reference to a song in Live's catalog. Believe me in my neck of the woods, no rattlesnakes to be found!!

15. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    You know, when we started that project everyone was telling us "Live, really?" but trust me there's a lot of people who show up to our gigs and sing along the whole time we play.

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, there's some REM-ish sounding stuff on Throwing Copper...or am I totally off the wall?

Sore Thumb likes this.
  17. I like the stage but i like how you stand bold with bass in hand and a good outfit!

Rogatien likes this.
  18. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    You may not be off the wall but that's not my perception at all. They have a unique style, unique blend of rock, grunge and alternative. Well to me at least. But your guess is as good as mine really.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  19. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Wow thx man!! It's not often I get that kind of comment/compliment, I'll gladly take it!! :)

Jimmy4string and Sore Thumb like this.
  20. Great band!!!

Sore Thumb likes this.