Roger Daltrey on why The Who may not record again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Jun 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. "I'm certainly not going to pay money to give my music away free. I can't afford to do that. I've got other things I could waste the money on."

Asked why the record industry is in the state that it's in, Daltrey adds: "Well, it's been stolen. The way the internet has come about has been the biggest robbery in history, like musicians should work for nothing.

"You get paid for streaming, my ass. There's no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day. And now it's creeping into film and television, everything now.

"You notice, the internet is a slowly but surely destructive thing in all ways. I don't think it's improved people's lives. It's just made them do more work and feel like they're wanted a bit more, but it's all bollocks.

"They feel like they're wanted because they got 50,000 Facebook likes or whatever, and it's all bollocks. Look up for a while. Live in the real world."

DirtDog, prd004, bassdude51 and 11 others like this.
  2. Take this wherever you want to go with it. The state of receding artists is one way, and that's been done quite a bit. Can't say I disagree with him there, although if there were someone who could "afford" to give his music away, I'd say by now he probably can (again, not saying he should, or should be expected to).

However, what I find more interesting are his comments on the Internet as a whole being bollocks (I would have said crap). With each passing day, I am reaching the same conclusion. I mentioned that in an OT thread about shooting gorillas ........

I truly wonder if in the end, we will find that the Internet is the undoing of civilized society. Nothing seems real anymore, yet everything is, cuz it's "on the Internet".

Yet - here I am.......

bassdude51, osv, SteveCS and 2 others like this.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The Internet is like every other tool; it is neither good nor bad, it is all about how you use it. You can use a hammer to build a house or to kill someone; it's not the hammer's fault how it is used.

The record industry stuck their heads in the sand when the Internet started gaining speed instead if trying to figure out how to use it. They are not without some blame on how things turned out.

DirtDog, LiquidMidnight, osv and 11 others like this.
  4. Yeah - I agree with all of that.

I feel the same way about alcohol and drugs, as roar as neither good, nor bad. I suppose one could argue there is plenty bad in many drugs. But, we are free to not use them, just like the internet.

I guess the question becomes, will we as a society (or the human race in general) end up misusing the internet more than using it to advance our condition.

bassdude51 likes this.
  5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Roger is a wise man.

bassdude51 and tangentmusic like this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Remarkable. A 72 year old man thinks the internet is destroying everything.
    We should all get out of his yard.

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    91sn32Q.jpg

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The Internet was only the means for the industry to consolidate most of the profits that used to be divided amongst more levels of distribution, and also to cut back on what gets back to the actual artists and performers.

Plus ça change...

jerry likes this.
  9. Interesting comment. How so? Not that I doubt you, just wondering how. The public face of the industry has been much the same as the artists, "this is killing us", but I agree, I'm not sure it has.

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The recording industry took a hit but they managed to consolidate their earnings by broadening the market (merchandising tie-ins, cross platform sales, e.g film, advertising, television, etc) taking over control of aspects that were handled by third parties (concerts as profit centers rather than marketing support for content) and other parts of the industry, and by themselves consolidating and becoming monolithic entertainment companies that create artists, produce content, distribute it, broadcast it, license it, and spin it off in multiple ways in multiple markets.

cdef likes this.
  11. Gotcha. Interesting.

12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Roger's right, cha know..

bassdude51 and JMacBass65 like this.
  13. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    He's correct in the sense that even major label artists don't make or spend the kind of money they did in his day.

You had to rent a real recording studio to make a record until.....the 90s at least. Mainstream hits recorded in a bedroom weren't quite common though until recently and now they're the norm.

So. The industry went from like really high overhead and really high profits, to no overhead and marginal profits.

Blaming the Internet is a bit incorrect though imho. It does provide a more seamless method of delivery, that allows for fewer entities to profit, in the course of said delivery, than the old "buy it at the store" method.

My constant argument though is that music is factually less culturally significant than it was in his era, and therefore less money in adjusted dollars is spent on it.

When the Who toured Tommy an album was a big deal. They were quite expensive in adjusted dollars.

People had very few other options for escapist fantasy. No video games. Three to four channels on tv.

Kids would put on albums and just lose themselves in them.

Now. Im not saying that doesn't or can't happen now. But statistically speaking you have exponentially more kids losing themselves in video games, snapchat, Facebook, et al, than a new CD/Digital album from their favorite artists.

When I go to shows now, even pricey ones, unless it's jazz, half the audience is buried in their phones and taking selfies.

I don't think Roger gets all of that though. People have limited time and budgets for entertainment.

They simply don't chose to spend either solely on music, the way they did even in the 90s, before entertainment technology became so appealing and powerful.

14. Your sarcastic comment is a case in point of Daltrey's argument about how the internet cheapens everything.

Instead of making fun of his age, maybe you could come up with an actual argument to refute his point. Or maybe you've seen more in your presumably briefer time on earth that makes you wiser than a 72-year-old who's been around the block in the music industry a few times?

15. Exactly. I have been very down on the internet lately. Kicked into high gear with the whole gorilla/kid thing. I started to loose faith in people.......

Tbone76 and Spectrum like this.
  16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Before the old paradigm of money making was killed by the internet, before those days, music was free. Records were just promotional tools to make money from selling sheet music. Maybe Daltrey forgot about those days, when his young rebellious generation got fat off kids buying their records.
    New paradigms happen, old ways die. He's a bitter old codger now.
    Why don't they all just f f f f f fade away, stop trying to dig what we all say...

17. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    And in some cases (NBC/Universal, for instance), they're part of larger companies that sell the very Internet access that they say is killing everything. As another poster pointed out, we have an embarrassment of riches as regards to entertainment options, and it's only going to increase. There are some of us that are old enough to remember the way things were, when you played a single record until the grooves were worn, but the younger crowd continues to make up more and more of the population and things simply cannot go back to the way they were.

One Drop likes this.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It's been about 4 decades since The Who released anything of substance. Are you saying they had something good in the pipe that we're going to miss out on now? :beaver:

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I do agree people should live more in the now and that kids and adults should be more active and not go through life in front of the TV or stuck to a screen.

Here it's not so bad, but I've been places and seen people that drive me nuts, mostly who can't pay attention to what they are actually doing, and who have to record everything instead of experiencing it.

But in the main personally I think the Internet has been a force for the positive way more than the negative.

GregC likes this.
  20. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The Internet has been the most democratizing technology yet invented. Almost anybody can now learn to do almost anything for free. They can instantly communicate with anyone anywhere anytime. News can be spread instantly, help can be summoned in an instant. You can learn to build a house, grow crops, or play a guitar by simply searching for it. You can let the world know how your political fight for freedom is going, instantly. Yeah, the music business is in the toilet. But that only existed for a few decades anyway. As a lifelong musician, I'll still take the immense good that computers and networking have given us and will continue to give us over a few more rock and roll recordings and rich rock stars.

I don't care how old or young Roger is. Knee jerk reactions like his don't impress me. A mega rich star telling everyone else to live in the real world is, well, rich.

AaronVonRock, Jools4001, osv and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021