Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger Federer...the greatest athlete of our time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kevjmyers, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    So I'm watching this guy play like God would play and the question came to mind. Any thoughts? I know pro tennis players don't get enough props considering the ESPN Top 50 special they had a while back had Sampras at like 40 and there was a horse rated above him.

This Federer guy makes Sampras look like me on the court with cut-off jean shorts and a cigarette hanging outta my mouth!

2. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Greatest athlete of all time?

No.

I can name several others who are FAR greater than him. One person who springs to mind is Michael Jordan.

Best wishes.

3. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    What about His Airness' lack of baseball ability?

And elite mens singles tennis takes far more skill than a member of an NBA team (with four other players around you.)

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Federer is NOT better than Sampras give me a break. Federer has a long way to go before he gets even close to the accomplishments of the all time tennis greats. I'm actually kind of tired of the way the announcers fall all over the guy. He has had one good year...so did Mats Willander back in the 80's. How many people remember him? Let's see if Federer can continue to dominate for a decade like Sampras and THEN maybe people can start to talk. ;)

You do know Federer lost the Australian Open which he won last year right? So much for winning all four as Pat McEnroe has been saying. :rolleyes:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He didn't "lack" baseball ability. In fact he's pretty good...just not good enough to compete on a major league level...the people who ARE competing on a major league level devoted their lives to achieving that. He's also damn good at golf from what I hear and now he's racing motorcycles. Don't diminish Jordan's athletic ability...he's pure athlete.

I agree with Jared. I don't think he's the best athlete of our time but it's MUCH to early to start speaking of him even being the greatest tennis player. He's got a long way to go. Agassi is right up there with Sampras and Federer has a long way to go to reach either of them.

brad cook

6. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    I would never diminish Michael's athletic ability. If it came across that way I apologize.

I realize Federer has a long way to go to reach the statistics of said tennis greats. The point I'm really trying to make is HOW he plays. The guy is simply head and shoulders above anybody EVER at his age (in tennis).

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Again, no he's not. Let's see how things play out over the next few years. Don't listen to announcers, they generally have nothing of substance to say. Trust me, I've been into tennis since I was 5 years old or so.

8. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Its not the announcers Im listening to. Its Tennis greats that say that. McEnroe .."He plays the way I dreamed of."

Carillo "He will be the greatest player ever." (sure she's not a tennis great but I'll take her word for it, she has seen 100 times more tennis than you have, or ever will for that fact.)

Agassi says things along the same lines...

Sure he is a cocky jerk, no need to diminish his talent because of that. Remember Jaco, I bet you idolize him.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Actually I don't think much of Jaco at all. Good musician sure but...

Federer is just the star of the day. That's all it is at this time. Mary Carillo is one of the worst announcers I've ever heard. Everything she says is borderline silly in my book. Her and Dick Enberg make an unbearable pair. I don't care what people SAY and no one else should either. Let's see how he PERFORMS over his entire career. He lost the first tournament he had to defend already. Let's just wait and see before proclaiming him the best ever...it's patently ridiculous. I say again...he had one good year. Let's see if he can keep it up into his 30's.

10. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Irregardless of the future, if your into tennis you should see something special about his complete game and his perpetual fluidity. Now Ive only been into tennis since '87 but even I can tell there is something special about Federer..now, not in 10 years when we surmise his career.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sampras > Federer.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Greatest athlete of our time?

Lance Armstrong

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And just a more detailed post. I have been playing tennis since i could hold a racquet and believe me, its a large part of my life. Roger Federer is no Jesus. You saw him lose to Marit Safin (hopefully, great match). Safin has barely played lately, due to injury. THis is his first real season back and he defeats Federer. Federer has a solid game but he does have weaknesses. Federer's backhand lacks power and a person with a more powerful game can take command, ala Safin. Federer is by no means head and shoulders ahead of everyone else. Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, and many others are very talented. Federer will NOT reign in a manner relative to that of Pete Sampras. He does not have the same control over the game that Sampras did with his serve and volley.

14. Michael Vick is a good choice. Jordan is, too. How about Jackie Joyner Kersie? Muhammad Ali?

15. [​IMG][​IMG]

Jonah Lomu...just ask Mike Catt. You should just be able to see him on the ground in the last picture...hehehe.

[​IMG]

Leigh

16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Precisely.
    Not only does he supercede anything accomplished before him in his sport, but he does it all at a young age after conquering great illness.

17. If you wanna talk about illness then I think you should read about Jonah...

Leigh

18. Before we get too worked up here, I think we need to decide if dopers are in the running too. I know it's not popular to bring it up--especially since we in America lust Lance so-- but professional cycling is rife with drug abuse. Apparently baseball, and many other sports are too. Some cases are obvious, while we may never even suspect others.

It's such a shame. It just taints everything.

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Good list so far...Armstrong, Ali, Jordan...

I'd put my dad above Federer...He had a world record in track for over 10 years.

Marshall