Roger Glover: "Death Alley Driver" (1982)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Pretty cool video from '82, with Roger playing a Hondo longhorn!

Glover deserves more credit as a player than he gets. I like the neo-classical flourishes he throws in during the solos.

bhunt1, Maureen M and Gluvhand like this.
  2. Glover's playing on this entire album is great, with the title track being my favorite. His production on the album was also very good. Having said that, DTC is probably my least liked Rainbow album up to that point.

Maureen M and A.K. like this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    DTC is a very well-produced record. A step up from "Down to Earth," which was also well-produced. I agree that it's also got some weak material, esp. "Magic." Great guitar solo instrumentals by Blackmore.

"Death Alley Driver" is from "Straight Between the Eyes." Overall, probably the best of the Joe Lynn Turner Rainbow records, although I think all three were good.

Gluvhand likes this.
  4. My bad. I completely forgot about Straight Between The Eyes!

A.K. likes this.
  5. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I've always thought Blackmore shot himself in the foot when he disbanded Rainbow to go back to Deep Purple. The reunited Purple made one good album and then loads of crap until Blackmore bailed in 1993. I think Rainbow had a few more good albums in them.

6. I agree while not being on board with the direction Rainbow was going. Good, strong power pop. And when he did put Rainbow back together with Doogie White, meh. Blackmore does what Blackmore does and the world be damned.

A.K. likes this.
  7. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Blackmore can't stand Gillan, and boy is it ever mutual! My favorite Gillan quote: "The problem with Ritchie is that he's an intellectual dwarf."

I think the poppy Rainbow stuff (especially the tunes with outside songwriters, like "Since You've Been Gone" and "I Surrender") mostly sucks, but man they could still rock like on "Death Alley Driver." "Stone Cold" was an attempt to sound like Foreigner, which was Blackmore's favorite band circa '81/'82.

I do love "All Night Long," which Blackmore and Glover wrote together. Graham Bonnett oversings it a little, as he does on the entire "Down to Earth" album. I like Joe Lynn Turner's singing better.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Gluvhand likes this.
  8. Check out the Classic Albums DVD that dissects Machine Head. The hate runs deep. One of Blackmore's problems with Gillan was/is that he forgot lyrics a lot live which is pretty ironic considering Blackmore never played a solo the same way twice.

I do like some of the "poppy" Rainbow. I'm a bigger Bonnett fan than you, I guess. I did prefer his Alcatrazz stuff to his Rainbow work overall.

A.K. likes this.
  9. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Gillan's inability to remember lyrics also pissed off Iommi during the "Born Again" tour. It would piss me off, too. Gillan can be awful lazy, and his lyrics can be thoroughly half-assed. Almost all of the "Perfect Strangers" album was written for Rainbow before Ritchie agreed to do the Purple reunion.

I like Bonnett's singing, but it sometimes sounds like's really straining on "Down to Earth." Maybe because he considered himself a pop/R&B singer before he got the Rainbow gig. He is still a very good singer, though.

I haven't listened to the Alcatrazz stuff in years. Maybe I should give it a whirl tonight.

10. You should. Two completely different animals between the Yngwie and Vai albums. My mood dictates which I prefer.

A.K. likes this.
  11. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Cool live footage from '79, although the audio sucks. Glover is rockin' a Thunderbird.

Gluvhand likes this.
  12. On a few occasions on that tour they had to shut down after a handful of songs. Graham kept blowing his voice but when he was on it was great.

Glover has played so many different basses I've lost count. In the "Making of" the new album you see him playing a few different basses, a nice Precision among them. Live it's strictly his Vigier.

A.K. likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021