Roger Glover: Isolated bass track to "Smoke on the Water" (1972)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Mar 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Roger Glover is a truly underrated bassist and composer. Certainly he doesn't get the recognition he deserves compared to other hard rock bassists of his generation.

2. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    One of my favorite players and I always thought his playing on this tune was the real gem and not the chord progression everyone learns at 12.

Ductapeman, hintz, SlimS and 2 others like this.
  3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    In my opinion, Roger Glover is one of the all time most under-rated bass players. He's one of my very first bass heroes.
    This is awesome too.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Loved that

:bassist:

A.K. likes this.
  5. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Awesome. I've always liked Glover. Of the 70's bands JPJ gets all the love, but I always preferred Glover to most others.

BlueAliceOasis, Gluvhand and A.K. like this.
  6. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Glover really drives the band, kind of like Jimmy Bain. They both have what Bain called "heavy right hands."

Of that era, JPJ, Geezer Butler, and Chris Squire are probably the three most acclaimed bassists. But I dig Gary Thain and Roger Glover just as much as the others.

7. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I really first became aware of Glover with the "Perfect Strangers" album. I thought he was just so solid, and had a certain flair. I tried to play as much of that album as I could. If anyone has the isolated tracks for "Perfect Strangers" and "Not Responsible", please share them.

Bajo Clarkko, A.K. and Spectrum like this.
  8. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Entwistle would definitely have to be in the most acclaimed category as well.

BlueAliceOasis, Bass., hintz and 2 others like this.
  9. When I was growing up in the 80s, Perfect Strangers was my first DP album. The song Perfect Strangers is almost a perfect song in my opinion. For a mid-80s tune it's very Zeppelinesque.

10. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Definitely. I was thinking of bands that made it big b/w, say, 1968 and 1971. Entwistle was a bona fide bass god by then.

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Ah, gotcha. My mistake!

In that case, a guy that emerged from that era that didn't/doesn't get the credit he deserves (and neither does his band) is Greg Ridley from Humble Pie. Ron Wood's bass playing in the Jeff Beck Group in that era was tremendous as well.

Anyway, I dig Roger as much as the others just like you. Such a humble guy.

RickC, osonu, A.K. and 1 other person like this.
  12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I think a bassist from that era who is unacclaimed is Tim Bogert (Vanilla Fudge and Cactus). He drove his guitarist crazy because he would play "lead bass".

brocco, kesslari, hintz and 5 others like this.
  13. Also Burke Shelley! Dude can rip on bass and sing like a beast, too. Sorry about the threadjack....

10cc, Kjell and A.K. like this.
  14. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Truly underrated, although bass players who know his work pretty much universally admire him.

15. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Great post. A good reminder that solid and steady with great tone beats flash any day.

16. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    I liked Roger Glovers Bass riff on 'Pictures Of Home' from Machine Head.
    The Bassline from the song 'Burn', wasn't too shabby, either.
    70s Rickenbacker at its finest. (Ironically, Machine Head had a Fender on the album cover. )

Gluvhand, Tanner5382 and A.K. like this.
  17. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I've been on a bit of a Deep Purple/Rainbow kick lately so I really enjoyed the solo'd Roger Glover DP tracks. He's a very supportive player who does just enough aggressive stuff to keep it interesting and he's got that gnarly, distorted Rickenbacker pick tone happening in spades. Nice!

wintremute and A.K. like this.
  18. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Glover has said that "Pictures of Home" is one of his favorite bass parts.

Glenn Hughes played bass no "Burn," as you probably know.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  19. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    There's a cool video of him conducting a clinic in London from five or six years back. You can find it on YouTube. He has very solid picking technique, that's for sure.

20. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for posting this. The Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore solos were in my head. I have a new song to learn on bass now.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021