1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roger Glover's "Mask"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Winston TK, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Since transferring the majority of my CD collection to my iPod awhile back, I've been enjoying the ease of dialling up all kinds of gems every now and then. Over the past couple of nights, I've been really enjoying Roger Glover's 1984 album "Mask".

An obvious departure from his excellent work with Deep Purple, this solo album (and similarly named band project) is a real treat. I definitely remember hearing the title track ("The Mask") on the radio back in the day and thinking it was rather good.

Now, after hearing the entire disc again, I can better appreciate Mr. Glover's work here. His bass playing throughout is not really anything to positively rave about, although there are a few well placed moments, to be sure. What is really impressive here is his lead vocal performance. His voice is surprisingly versatile, at times sounding remarkably like Bryan Ferry(!). The material is frequently reggae-esque (which is a common occurance with bassists' solo work), and wonderfully poppy at the same time. The style is reminiscent of 80's era 10cc at times, which is a quality I really appreciate.

Has anyone else experienced this offering from Roger Glover? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. I had a cassette copy of "The Mask" in high school, and I remember it being one of my favorite albums at the time. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'm going to try and find a used CD copy.