Roger Linn Adrenalinn good for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmatik, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    has anyone tried the Roger Linn Adrenalinn on bass?
  2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, I have. I bought one for a film soundtrack project I was working on, and found it to be very cool. Most of the amp models were a bit over the top, but some careful tweaking solved that. The filters and modulations are quite extraordinary. Unfortunately, I found it useless live. The problem being that your signal is constantly routed thru the A/D converters, leaving the tone of the bass highly compromised. There is no mix control, which would be quite a help, but even routed thru an aux loop, the box pretty much sucked the tone from my basses.
    The MIDI functions are quite excpetional..but the overall trade off for a decreased bass tone made the unit unusable for me.....your mileage may differ.

I have heard of others using one to great advantage, tho. I was using mine for a bit as a teaching tool; the built in drum box was quite easy to use.

3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've heard that a lot of guitarists have difficulty adjusting the Adrenalinn II's gain - apparently there's a very narrow sweet spot.

I wonder how it would react to the active electronics on a bass.
  4. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    well, i guess one can always use a looper/bypass unit so that the bass tone is not compromised.
    for me what is interesting about the Adrenalinn is the filters section. the audio samples i heard at the Roger Linn site are really nice (guitar sounds, of course...why is it that they pay so little attention to us bass players? :scowl: ).
  5. deanmc@optonlin

May 31, 2006
    LI, NY
  6. Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Macy Gray, IMA Robot, Beck,...) used to have one.