Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger Linn Adrenalinn good for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmatik, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    has anyone tried the Roger Linn Adrenalinn on bass?

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, I have. I bought one for a film soundtrack project I was working on, and found it to be very cool. Most of the amp models were a bit over the top, but some careful tweaking solved that. The filters and modulations are quite extraordinary. Unfortunately, I found it useless live. The problem being that your signal is constantly routed thru the A/D converters, leaving the tone of the bass highly compromised. There is no mix control, which would be quite a help, but even routed thru an aux loop, the box pretty much sucked the tone from my basses.
    The MIDI functions are quite excpetional..but the overall trade off for a decreased bass tone made the unit unusable for me.....your mileage may differ.

I have heard of others using one to great advantage, tho. I was using mine for a bit as a teaching tool; the built in drum box was quite easy to use.

Max

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've heard that a lot of guitarists have difficulty adjusting the Adrenalinn II's gain - apparently there's a very narrow sweet spot.

I wonder how it would react to the active electronics on a bass.

4. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    well, i guess one can always use a looper/bypass unit so that the bass tone is not compromised.
    for me what is interesting about the Adrenalinn is the filters section. the audio samples i heard at the Roger Linn site are really nice (guitar sounds, of course...why is it that they pay so little attention to us bass players? :scowl: ).

5. deanmc@optonlin

deanmc@optonlin

May 31, 2006
    LI, NY
  6. Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Macy Gray, IMA Robot, Beck,...) used to have one.