Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger Linn Designs AdrenaLinn?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Nov 2, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Does any body have any experience with this box? I've messed with one a little bit on guitar, only trying the amp models, but does anyone know anything about all the filters and modulation sounds? A friend is selling one pretty cheap, so I was wondering if i could use it with my bass. If not, I still might pick it up since I do a little guitar work, too.

2. After an experience with one of these lovelies over the weekend in the Windy City, I thought I'd ressurect this thread for you all to pile on your praise (or criticism).

The filters on this are just about anything I could ever want a bass to do. all of the different effects are fantastic. I will own one of these, sooner rather than later...

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Only problem I can see with the Adrenalinn is that most live bands won't want to sync tempos to a stompbox. It looks like a great composing too though.

4. It is a great device and I had one but have gotten rid of it. My problem with it was trying to integrate it into an already crazy rack setup. On it's own it was great, but editing was a little tough, also stereo imaging was not really editiable at all.
    And to me the drums were useless, however syncing to external clock worked like magic. If you're looking for cool filter effects in tempo it's hard to beat.
    That's my 2 cents.
    Dirk

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

...ditto. I used mine for a couple of film soundtrack projects I was working on...and then ended up selling it. The drums COULD be made cooler, but the editing process is a bit of a hassle (although, to be fair, there is downloadable editor which made this all much easier), and running the drum sounds thru the filters gives some stunning results...

The sync'd filters are really cool, the amp models good but a bit over the top. What really bugged me was the lack of true bypass (meaning your signal was alwys sent thru the converters, and for me this a noticeable and considerable tonal compromise) and the lack of any kind of fx mix control (this matched with a fairly low impedence input and the unweildy gain dial). I ended up adding a Raven Labs PMB1 to my set up just to interface the Adrenalinn. I have heard some improvements were made to the series II model, but I don't think the impedence nor the bypass have been addressed (it is, after all, still mainly marketed to guitarists).
    Nonetheless, if you can get past these issues it is a brilliant box.

Max

6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    NO TRUE BYPASS - and it wasn't a "quiet tone robber". The thing actually took the balls out of my setup. Had to get rid of it.
    Make it true bypass, and a bit easier to edit, and I'd pay almost double what they are going for now for one. (the effects were that cool.)

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got an Adrenalinn I, so I thought I'd bump this thread.

I've only played with it for an hour, but my initial judgment is a big thumbs up. The drumbeats sound good and are a cool practice tool if nothing else. The synced filters and effects are a lot of fun -- I could write songs around several of the patterns. If I was a solo bassist, I could see really depending on this unit. Or it'd also be cool for a drum and bass gig if you got your tempos linked up. I definitely hear some of the critiques above, if I were going to use it for anything but messing around I'd get a Y cable and run a clean line next to the Adrenalinn.

What all did they fix for the Adrenalinn II?