Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger, Nino - what's up with the Sadowsky Tokyo's??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, May 8, 2003.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I called you guys today because the Sadowsky Tokyos keep giving me gas- and i had some questions about trying out one and the policies.. I mean, i keep hearing people raving that these are THE Jazz basses- and the prospect of trying one on a gig is very appealing.. then i remember i saw an ad in Bassgear.com stating that they were available as if there were dealers- I asked about this and the gentleman that answered the phone knew nothing about it- -here's the ad:

FOR SALE: Sadowsky Tokyo
    Posted: : 05/04/2003
    Category: Basses
    Condition: Brand New
    Asking Price: $

They've landed and they're great!! 4 and 5 string models available. 70's vibe with binding and blocks plus Sadowsky tone and quality! E-mail me for details.
    FULL NAME: Steve Beals
    PHONE:
    CITY, STATE: Chicago, IL
    EMAIL: shbeals@aol.com

so.. what gives- are you aware? you have dealers now? just really curious about trying one on a gig- peace!- Adrian

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IIRC ,this is one of Sadowsky's newest Showcases. I think he's bases in Chicago. (re-reads post& the location is there. :)) Their are a few Sadowsky Showcase stores. One that comes to mind is BassNW.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here

marcus miller??? but man it looks nice.
    but how much?

steve

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Thank you, Nino - that explains it-
    Major Metal- as your brother in Christ - i respectfully respond that I am truly sorry that my post annoyed you into your reply, which struck me a bit sarcastic?, maybe I'm wrong- fact is, others may be interested in this as well, and then again, why do we have Talk Bass? if there was ever any discussion on the Basses Forum- then i guess every thread should be directed to the email box of the builder in question.
    What exactly about my post stirred you this way, because when i read a thread that i have nothing to add to, i just skip it. yes, i know Roger's email- and his web address and even his phone number!!:eek:
    see? i said i called.. and didn't get an answer ( i dont have a problem with that, the guy didn't know..)- so i asked here- Nino has explained it an nobody got hurt. ok? but thanks for the info anyway.
    Nino- if you get a minute- id like to chat with you- call my 800 number when you get real bored!- peace, Adrian

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Steve Beals is located in the north suburbs of Chicago. I e-mailed him re: Elrick imports.

Interesting that he's also doing this for Sadowsky imports!:D

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    he's also a Lakland dealer, he'll quote you some pretty amazing prices on new Skylines. I wasn't sure how legit he was at first, but it he's doing Elrick and Sadowsky he must be straight up.

8. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Roger sells the Marcus for $2,350 all day long...don't need to buy from any other dealers! I like the Tokyo pre better too!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    True, but some people like to try before they buy so Sadowsky has some stores as Showcases for that reason.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    one thing about posting "amazing prices" info- i understand your excitement- but there are pricing guidelines and you might be doing the dealer more harm than good to post that he is selling cheap-
    selling too cheap ccan get you in trouble with the manufacturers-
    i just got email from Steve- he seems quite legit- you can't not be and last very long in this biz---

11. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, but Roger has a 3 days policy to make sure the buyer likes the product.....and the special treatment of Nino, packing and trying every bass before it gets ship. +++++ a FREE Theorom CD! What a deal man!

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I emailed Steve as well and 2350 was about the price I was quoted too. For some reason, I thought they would sell for a little less than that. I don't know why I was under that impression. Is 2350 a good deal for these basses?

13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    The Music Instrument store in my office building , is importing Sadowsky Tokyo Basses and guitars, their guitar price really competitive [ retail price US 1,500], while the basses selling for US 1,900.
    I bought myself RJ 4, but Honestly I prefer the tonal quality and the preamp of US Sadowsky, for 1 K more.
    The single coil pick up gives humm whichy annoys me sometimes.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry i thoght you couldent find Roger, I allways have the best of luck contacting him with email. Nothing in your post botherd me, please dont take it that i was annoyed. I really dont like sarcasim either so i guess were in the same boat.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    no harm done ,bro- God bless and peace to ya!- Adrian

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tsk, tsk, watch out for that pricing posting... :meh:

but i wholeheartly agree on the Toyko pre! as much as i love Roger's, something about that Toyko really works well with me.

btw, STOP GIVING ME GAS FOR A SAD-TOKYO! i already ordered another 24 fretter!

(oops, let the cat outta the bag... i'm such a Sadowsky slut... :rolleyes: :D)

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've had many NYC Sadowsky's and presently have 3. A pj4, jj4, and jj5. They are amazing and I gig with nothing else. I was in Brooklyn early this month and took some time to visit the shop. I played a Tokyo 4 and loved it! It was medium weight, natural finish, and had tone for days. I'd would have bought it on the spot but couldn't justify a 4th Sadowsky at the moment, especially another 4 string. Trust me, they are it. If you like a Fender type sound and feel, don't hesitate. They are about $1000 to $1200 dollars less than a US Sadowsky. I think it had the Tokyo pre, but I'm not sure. I think it was approx. $2150?!

Rob

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Whats the street price on a new tokyo 5 string?

What does the usa made 4 go for,3150$,3350$? even the fancy top quilted fretborb ones?

thanks

AJ

19. Ive played that Marcus Miller Tokyo at BassNW. Its everything youd expect from something with sadowsky written on it. Im pretty sure its somewhere around 23-2400.