Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger Waters = D'addario strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I saw this picture of Roger http://www.musiconphoto.com/UD_170602_ROGERWATERS/FOTOS_RogerWaters_2002/roger_waters_01.htm and i wonder, look at the bridge, it has colored ends, does this means that he's using D'addario strings or does any other company also use colored ends? It says on Rotosounds website that he uses their Jazz77 flats. If that's D'addarios, what sort of string is it?

BTW, is that a 1/4 P Pickup, sure looks like one to me but i could be wrong.

*EDIT:* If this is any help, look at this picture also http://www.musiconphoto.com/UD_170602_ROGERWATERS/FOTOS_RogerWaters_2002/roger_waters_06.htm it has red silks at the ends, any help?

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    sure looks like daddario. interesting since its been generally known that he uses/used roto flats. guess he's as unsettled on strings as the rest of us !

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    So what sort of string can it be? Chromes? Rounds? ½ rounds?

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    no idea which ones.

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
  6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, they're not ProSteels (no silks) and not Chromes (blue silks) and IIRC there aren't any silks on the XL's. So that leaves EXP's and Half Rounds.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Sure looks like D'addario-I use the XL rounds, and Chromes on my jazz basses.

You're right about the wraps. XL's have none, and Chromes are a dark blue.

Anybody else have any ideas?

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If memory serves me right (and it usually dosen't), the half rounds have black silks. At least the new nickle ones.

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    The pictures are from the 2002 tour, did they have a different color back then or the same as now?

10. My fairly new nickle half-rounds have no silk. Neither do my old stainless half-rounds.

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    So it's not ½ rounds, chromes, xls or pro steels. What can it be? Slowwounds? Prisms? Does anybody know what strings D'addario offered around '02?

12. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I think that these are two different photos...he's wearing a long sleeve shirt in one and a short sleeve shirt in the other. The picture with the red silks is probably some type of Rotosound. The D'Addario picture appears to be XL nickelwounds judging by the color of the strings, they are shiny like nickel.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    rsautrey ... I was trying to find out a way to prove they were different pictures, and I swear I looked at everything BUT sleeve length!

14. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It looks like the shirt he has under the jacket in the first pic. I just assumed he had taken the jacket off.

15. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Oops! I guess that was a jacket and not a long sleeve shirt. I'm stumped now!

16. That last picture looks as if there may be blue silk, which would be chromes. It also looks as if the strap is different in the different pictures. I wonder if he has more than one black P-bass, each with a different string set, some being Rotos, and some being D'Addarios. Ultimately, is this a colossal waste of time, or what?
    ps: I like Roger Waters.

17. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, one could be standard tuning. Another drop D, which he used a lot.

18. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    IIRC he has an original black/black/maple one from '77 and then for this tour(?) he made fender do 2 copies of it IIRC

Do you know any specific songs?

19. I'm surprised I didn't think of that. Excellent theory!