Roger Waters Dark Side of the Moon tour

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by edmidlifecrisis, May 21, 2007.

1. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

Anyone else catch Roger Waters' show at the Sound Advice Amphitheater in West Palm Beach? It was Friday night.

Great show!!! WOW!!! The staging and effects were mind blowing, as were the performances. He played what looks like a black Fender Precision for most of the show (mostly with a pick) and played both acoustic and electric guitars at different times, too.

I was with my family and a few friends sitting out on the lawn (bumper to bumper) and we all agreed it was a knockout show. It was one of the very few sellouts of the Sound Advice, an usher told me they sold 28,000 tickets. We even had the crescent moon over the stage for much of the show.

2. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I was lucky enough to catch his show here in Bogotá. It was really good, the best concert I have ever been to...and I had just been to a Jamiroquai show a couple o weeks earlier.

As you said, the stage effects were just amazing as where the perfomances. I was particualrly impress by Roger Waters' ability to sing and play bass at the same time, specially during Have a Cigar where he played some really nice lines.

BTW the guy who played bass when Roger picked up a guitar (Andy fairweather I think is his name) really impressed me. I enjoyed hearing the differences between a fiunegrstyle bass and a picked bass. Roger was so much easier to hear but Andy's lines where deeper and just sitted better in the groove IMO.

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i saw him a month ago, great show.

4. That's Andy Fairweather-Lowe, formerly of Amen Corner. :)

Isn't Mr Waters still lip synching a lot of the vocals (particularly Have a Cigar)?

There was certainly ample YouTube evidence that he was earlier in the tour and this was the subject of earlier threads.:confused: :( :confused:

5. i was at his show last year in the bay area. AMAZING!

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I will be seeing the tour June 1 in Philly. Can't wait!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I believe so. Great show. Great lip-synching.

8. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I think that was just a bad night. I think every singer has had at least one. In Bogotá he was in fine voice, check it out:

9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Check out his DVD, "In the Flesh." Live in Portland, Oregon; great show. Your money's worth for that one.

10. Greetings

I love PF but can Waters actually play???

Gilmore played a lot of the bass parts on the albums and has been quoted saying Waters is awful.

The band was great Waters can't sing a lick either can I except I don't front!

11. That was a lot better:hyper:

12. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

13. lilterier

lilterier Inactive

May 21, 2007
    Roger waters can play yes, not spectacular in anyway, and he sings great on fletcher memorial.

But u see, roger waters skills are not exactly the practical, he's a musical genious and wrote most of pink floyds greatest material.. syd barret was the true genious though..

David Gilmour cant write an album unless he's surrounded by proffesional composers from all around the world to help him, he's a good player but without people like waters writing music for him then he's nobody. :rolleyes:

14. Lilterier:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Gilmour's lastest solo effort proves that admirably IMHO.;) ;)

Thangfish:

I don't "contend" anything. You can call it "mountaineering" if you like. All I know is that, if I had shelled out my hard earned dosh for a ticket and I was presented with the tosh which is in evidence on that clip, I would be mightily unimpressed.

My opinion and my prerogative I think?:meh: :meh:

15. I think both guys can be called awesome muscicians without being controvertial, one can play incredible stuff, the other one can do awesome compositional work... I mean, they are actually great artists (yeah... ART... lol), but... It was very funny when they got togethes for the live8 concert... I expected too much maybe, but I prefeer them the way the are now.

16. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Bad Voice...Bad Playing...Lip Synching...

WHO CARES!!!!....

It's ICON Roger Waters doing what he does best...old Pink Floyd...just sit back and enjoy him while he's still doing it. :bassist:

17. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Wow...still debating the Waters/Gilmour/Barret/PF argument?

A) you can't judge anything from Youtube.

B) if Roger WAS lip-synching, I'd at least cut him some slack for it. He's getting up there in years and lets face it, his vocal chords aren't what they used to be. I'd commend him on trying to preserve the quality of the performance instead of coughing in the mic a lot and going flat or sharp the whole night.

C) I would say that judging from Floyd's success AFTER Syd Barret died, that Syd wasn't as creative as we'd like to think he was. Who knows though? He died way before we could find out for sure.

D) IMO, I think when Waters and Gilmour collaborate together, great things always happen. You can tell from Waters' solo efforts and from Pink Floyd in the post-Waters era. Neither have obtained the level of success they enjoyed when they were together.

18. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Considering the state of Roger's voice in recent years, I think he has every right to lip synch if he has to. His voice is obviously too trashed for regular use, it's not like he's being lazy about it.

19. slugworth

slugworth Inactive

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If you go to one of these shows, pay close attention to the backup singers. One of them will be P.P Arnold, the former "Ikette". Keith Emerson's early band, The Nice, was her backing group. Good to see she's still performing!

Slug

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021