1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roger Waters Duff Mckagan Jamerson

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Seymour Duncan Spb-4/Stk-J2

11.1%
  2. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II/Stk-J2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Seymour Duncan Spb-3/Dimarzio Ultra Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Seymour Duncan Spb-3/Dimarzio Model Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fender 62 P/Seymour Duncan Stk-J2

11.1%
  6. Dimarzio Model P/Dimarzio Model J

44.4%
  7. Lollar Vintage P/Seymour Duncan Stk-J2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. EMG GZR PJ

33.3%
  1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Ah the pbass, what a beauty.

I have a Fender Highway 1 Precision bass that I really love and I can't see myself selling for a very long time if not ever. I love the way it resonates and how it feels and plays. I've added a badass II bridge (was the pre-badass version), a tort pickguard (thank you talkbass), and some higher end flat top knurled fender knobs. It's great.

I am thinking of adding a jazz pickup in the bridge to make it a P/J bass since I do absolutely love that tone when playing with a pick and in my current bands I am using a pick about 80% of the time. The current Pbass pickup seems a little shy on the bottom end and could use some stronger lows and low-mids. I do really like the open sound if that makes sense, nice clear high mids and highs but there isn't much substance underneath it all.

I love soul motown, weird soundscape rock like lots of Pink Floyd (DSOTM is my favorite album), and also that cutting P/J tone of Duff Mckagan in GnR (walking papers and loaded are awesome too!). I prefer roundwounds, both for crispness and feel and I currently use Rotosound rs66. I'm looking for a Pbass pickup that has a thumpy low end with nice clear and even crisp highs. For the jazz pickup, I will not be soloing it, it's to use full on with the pbass when I want a P/J tone. I'd like it to add some grit and growl while giving a nice slightly scooped melodic midrange.

Sets that I am currently considering:
    Seymour Duncan Spb-4 and Stk-J2
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity II and Stk-J2
    Seymour Duncan Spb-3 and Dimarzio ultra Jazz
    Seymour Duncan Spb-3 and Dimarzio model Jazz
    Fender Original 62 P and Seymour Duncan Stk-J2
    Dimarzio Model PJ
    Lollar vintage P and Seymour Duncan Stk-J2
    EMG GZR PJ

I am Planning on wiring this as Volume/Tone/3 way switch

What I am looking for is a solid P/J set and I want your recommendations (not objectively best). Tell my what you would choose and why, your influences, whatever info that you would like to post.

PawleeP likes this.
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Labella 760/ GHS Precision flat/ DR Legend could make your pickups sound shinning !

If i own a nice Pbass, i wont modified it. Sorry, i am not with you.

3. Dams

Dams

Apr 28, 2008
    Panazol (France)
    I agree; don't modify your PBass!
    My main bass is a RogerWaters PBass (SPB-3 pickup) that I do love, but I needed JBass bridge pickup sound for some songs.
    So I bought a MIM JBass, changed the pickups for SJB-3, and I switch bass when necessary.
    If you really want JBass sound in addition to PBass sound: buy a JBAss.
    If you really want a PJ bass, buy a DuffMcKagan, a Deluxe, a TonyFranklin or an Elite PBass.
    But keep your PBass its integrity!

Crusher47 likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    That is actually a really good combo that balances well. I am sure you can get the sounds you want from it.

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I want a P and a PJ sound, I don't really care for the jazz sound. But I do see your point.

Dams and PawleeP like this.
  6. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    This is the most intuitive combo for me at the moment. It just seems to make sense even though I haven't heard it.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. Dams

Dams

Apr 28, 2008
    Panazol (France)
    Okay. I misunderstood.
    So if you:
    . want a P and a PJ sound,
    . don't want to buy an additional bass,
    . are ready to mutilate your beloved PBass,
    I think the Seymour Duncan Spb-4 and Stk-J2 combination would be great for you.
    The other pairs you mention seem a bit weird to me.
    The DiMarzio PJ set is great, but it will only give more punch to your sound, not modify it.
    I don't know the EMG set, but I've read it sounds vintage, so not really what you're looking for.

But my own choice would be a SeymourDuncan QuarterPound set (SPB-3 + SJB-3b)!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021