Roger Waters' sunburst P bass from Live at Pompeii

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crackle, Sep 21, 2016.

1. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Neat. I was immediately drawn to the interesting fretboard coloration, however, the auction catalog copy seems to contain a plausible explanation for why it appears differently from the Pompeii performance.

2. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'( Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I dont think so. It says at the bottom. "Please note the illustrated image shows Roger Waters using an identical Fender Precision bass guitar". Still a very nice P bass. I dont know about $14k; maybe $13.5k :D

3. Crackle

Crackle

Nov 3, 2007
    Plano, TX
    That's what I initially thought as well. They're not revealing the serial number of the Pompeii bass, so who really knows? Supposedly, Roger had a couple of sunburst Ps around that late 60s to early 70s era. The section of replaced fingerboard looks strange -- I've never seen such a repair.

RiZzBot likes this.
  4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I don't know about how much a P from that era is worth, but there doesn't seem to be any proof that Waters even touched this bass.

5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    So, if you saw Roger playing it, you'd offer $14K. If you saw me playing it....$140?

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  6. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    So that's what the repair was.

pbassrepar.jpg

7. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I doubt it's the main one.

8. I'm gonna guess ski-jump neck so he planed the end of the fretboard down? It is, after all, a 70's Fender. Would explain why the trussrod end is exposed and those frets kinda look flattened.

yodedude2 and Lownote38 like this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    This bass has apparently been put on display in the Hard Rock Cafe in Glasgow, so I'm going to try and visit it in the next few weeks.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021