Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roger waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 24, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    how much singing did he do? i know he wasnt lead but im sure he did back ups. and if you know on what songs? he plays some difficult thigns at times and trying to see how he does it.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well he was Pink Floyd. After the Syd Barrett period. Sure, Gilmour and the others(Wright, Mason) are great musicians, but Waters was the passion that developed the themes by which they had their greatest commercial success, all the while keeping it fresh and fearfully "dark".

Yes indeed, through the more popular Floyd you hear, Waters did sing, and write.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I think some of the "difficult things" you're hearing on Pink Floyd albums were actually played by Gilmour. Such as the fretless part on Hey You (The Wall) and the bass solo on Pigs from Animals. Waters did sing alot of the lead vocals, however.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Dave Gilmour had the good voice in the group, Roger Waters had the sharp, shrill voice. You can tell the difference pretty easily, but they were both great, imo. The reason why Roger got credit on most of the albums is because of his ideas inspired most of the songs...he was more concerned with where the credit went, almost more than the music itself...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The making of "Dark Side of the Moon" documentary was very interesting for this. So - Waters wrote a lot of the lyrics and basic song structures - but these were transformed beyond all recognition into what we know, by Rick Wright and Dave Gilmour. Rick Wright sang as well and Gilmour took a lot of lead vocals - but a lot of tracks are a blend of all three.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ah ok. well i thought he was singing and i own that dark side dvd. it is good. i enjoyed it thoughly. either way the guy is pretty talented.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think that is how they sound best.... Echos still gives me chills.

As far as Waters "being" Pink Floyd, I disagree. I do think they were best after Sid and before Waters left.

But I've replaced my vinyl Gilmour solo disks with CDs... but haven't bothered with Water's efforts

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i personally thought waters was the man of the gang. however i knwo everyone else participated. but the guy did have a ton of talent and what would appear to be a vision. adn i woudl think, however, i could be wrong, that he played predominately bass on the albums. but if gilmour did certain pieces more power to him.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Roger was the reason I picked up the bass. After hearing his swooping lines on Umma Gumma (and his screaching on Careful With That Axe, Euguene), I knew I had to play music. Roger was definitely the driving force behind post Syd Floyd, and the rest of the guys tempered his sometimes overbearing vision. Their creative differences were what made Pink Floyd great.

Pink Floyd floundered pretty bad after Roger (Momentary Lapse of Reason, which might as well have been a Gilmour solo album), but made up alot of ground when Richard Wright re-joined the group for Division Bell. Richard's solo stuff is really good by the way. He is definitely an underappreciated aspect of Pink Floyd. Broken China is very cool, and even features Pino Palladino on bass!

Roger's solo albums mostly suck, with the exception of Amused to Death. ATD is simply incredible. I mean, amazing. I think it's stronger than most PF albums, and that's saying alot. Pattitucci plays bass on that one, by the way.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Although Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time, I do favor Gilmour instead of Waters. Having said that, I can listen to any of it and be extremely satisfied. Each has their own little pro's/con's....one thing that has always kind of amazed me is that the latter work, or more specifically, the live work that Guy Pratt provided to the group (Pulse tour for one) seems to go a bit unnoticed to me. Pratt's work on that tour, and a large majority of his other work is remarkable to me. I have watched the live Pulse video more times than I can remember and it's a great inspiration to me when I watch him play and listen to his chops. Anyone have any opinions on why he's never heard of?
    (Didn't mean to hijack the thread guys...:D )

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i thought guy pratt was really awsome on those tapes i saw. he is underapriciated.

i just thought waters was cool. you dont see to many bassist singing, and i thought it was really cool to have the "leader" in a sense be a bass player.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Pratt rules. I really dig his solo on the live version of "Money".

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Am I the only person in the world who hated Pink Floyd with Sid Barret? Well hated is a strong word, but disliked. I like the Animals album the best. Well like is a weak word, but loved. ;) I like a lot of Floyd, except Barret era.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're not allowed to like my band anymore, StupidMatt.

:ninja:

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i did read guy pratt married rick wrights daughter...thats a pretty good deal.

16. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I saw Pink Floyd live three times, with Guy Pratt. Really good player.

I remember him being interviewed by a German Music Magazine where he mentioned his extensive work with Madonna (before Floyd). I think he also played or recorded with a Whitesnake reunion, but I could be wrong there.

I am a really big fan of Floyd, but I also don't like the very early recordings with Syd.
    Considering the many changes of styles throughout their career I think its interesting how someone can like EVERYTHING Pink Floy made.
    (however, everything they recorded is interesting and worthwhile listening to. Some of the stuff I like more, some I don't like at all.).

Songs like Southerful of Secrets are so different than other rock music, and so much more sophisticated and better thought out than most of the experiments other musicians made with electronics.

Monet and Another nrick did ot for me - wanted to play that, picked up bass, and here I am, 19 years later, still paying bass.

Wolfram

17. ryla

ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    i agree richards good on keys (great gig in sky!), how on earth could roger accuse him of being useless and wanting him out post wall?!

18. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Roger's voice: Hey You
    Dave's voice: Comfortably Numb

Once you know that, you can pretty much figure the rest out. I'm personally a Syd fan, but Floyd is always cool.

19. To be specific...

Roger's voice: Comfortably Numb (verse)
    Dave's voice: Comfortably Numb (chorus)

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Wright was too heavy into drugs at the time(The Final Cut) and was not functional music-wise.