Roger Waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dumelow, Feb 19, 2006.

1. dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    Anybody know anything about his setup? In particular any pedals he ever used. I know hes not a big effects use but im just nosy as to what he did use, I know he used a delay.
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Uh, I don't know that he ever used effects pedals, however, judging by the sounds on some PF records (some obvious and not so obvious) he used delay (for sure), flanger and perhaps a tremelo.

The flanger and tremelo I am not to sure about, but he DEFINATELY used delay, infact it was David Gilmour's delay, but I forget what kind it was.

He also used a slide, live at least.

Then stuff we know, he played with a pic, started out on Rickenbacker basses, but after it was stolen went to Fender P-basses, flatwounds (again, I think), Hiwatt amps, and now recently Ashdown and a Korg rack tuner.
  3. I have been a huge Roger Waters fan for years.

The most important thing regarding setup is not to pack the cone so tightly that it blocks. You can always pack another one.

Remember with Roger, less is more!
  4. roger has a great style of playing. i love it. i dont know much about his setup in his pink floyd days, but like everyone else has said he used delay. and he probly used a compressor or flanger or shifter or something like that on the gnome.

oh yeah, and for the most part he used (and still does use) a black p bass with a black pickguard and maple fingerboard
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I thought I read somewhere that he used an Alembic F2B in the Floyd days?
    delay yes and also some light flanging.
  6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    he also used a Kubicki at some point, although I don't know when since I'm not a fan of his.
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    The Kubicki and the Alembic are news to me. Wow, didn't know that.

I was under the impressions all he had ever used was the Ric and then in 'classic' PF days the Fender P-bass with the sunburst and rosewood fingerboard and also that aforementioned black Fender P-bass.

Now I have to go to research.;)
  8. A Binson Echorec (possibly wrong spelling!) :)
  9. anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    We talking about "One of these Days" here? There was some interview with David Gilmour in (I think) Guitar World years ago, where he mentions that they used this thing. Apparently this thing was similar in principle to and Echoplex, but used metal wire or a drum instead of tape.

Now, I'm probably going get flamed for this, but shouldn't we also be asking "which effects did David Gilmour use on bass?" I know he's mentioned that he played bass on a good chunk of Floyd's recordings, most notably "Hey You". Whether that's accurate, or whether he was exaggerating to take a swipe at Roger Waters, I don't know.
  10. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    In the recently liberated 1969 Royal Festival Hall Rehearsals, he is playing some sort of P Bass with a weird paint/design job, looks like little thumb size color bits all over the body, very, umm psychedelic..but the vid is b&w.

And didn't Roger say "Thanks Dave" when Roger won some bass award from some pop magazine, given that it was mostly Dave (Animals maybe?)
  11. gilmour played the fretless bass on "hey you". i also thought he did both of the bass parts on 'one of these days." take a listen to that on headphones. one bass line is coming out of the right side and the other out of the left. i think only one of them has the delay on it.
  12. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Gilmour tracked any fretless bass the Floyd ever used. Roger wouldn't play a fretless. He also did the second bass track on "One of these Days", not the whole thing. Gilmour also, in all likelyhood, played the more difficult lines. ie Young Lust.

Given I wasn't there, but I think Gilmour gets overcredited with some bass work. Although from the Wall on up he probably did do a 50% of the bass.
  13. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I didn't see that one, but I did see a picture on a PF website of him playing an olympic white/tortoise pickguard Fender p-bass.
  14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Waters used WEM cabs in the 70's.
  15. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I'd say Waters played on all of DSOTM and alot of The Wall.Either way I still love him!
  16. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    fender fretless and old school reel tape/space echo on the wall.
  17. Effects
    This is Roger´s pedalboard since 1979.

he used the BINSON ECHOREC during 60's and 70's.. A tremolo unit was synched to the echo time, during the middle part of One of These days.

Korg DTR 1 or 2 Strobo Tuner.

Hiwatts Custom 100 DR103 with 4x12 WEM Cabs... 60's early 70's.
    Alembic PreAmp.
    In 1977 he began to use a PHASE LINEAR 700 B.
    Now he is using an ASHDOWN KING COMBO.. 575W 8x10".

he used a Rickembaker. then switched to P Basses (though he used a Jazz Bass during Dark side of the moon recording sessions for TIME)

He owns 3 Black Fender Precision basses with maple neck... All similar... but there´s a secret... 2 of them have CHARVEL NECKS with FAKE FENDER DECALS... yes.. believe me.

He never used the KUBICKI.. at least live.... Though he advertised it..

Am i forgetting anything ?
  18. Glad to know they're on speaking terms again these days!
  19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You know, I was just about to add that image to the thread!
  20. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What is that thing in the middle "Phase spaceballs"? When does he use this?

What are your source for this information? I have never heard about this. If it's true i have to get a jazz bass :crying: ;)