1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roger Waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mik-S, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Mik-S

Mik-S Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    Pink Floyd's bassist

I like him but im not sure about how good he actually is. i know hes good at writing songs but what about his technique?

If anyone has any ideas i'd like to know

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here you can read what David Gilmour has to say about it.

3. Wow, interesting read...I had no idea about any of that myself...

4. interesting.

5. Waters would definitely be under my top 10 favourite bassists, he was minimalistic at points, but it almost always suited the song, and for me at least, alot of the bassplaying even outdoes some of the solos, or makes them alot better than they would have been.

6. Mik-S

Mik-S Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    yeh i like his simplicity as well although i also think he was quite original and gave the songs a bit more feel to them

and i didn't know that david gilmore had recorded most of the bass either so that made me loose a tiny bit of respect for roger but i still like him :)

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Interesting indeed. Although one could argue the same could be said of David Gilmour - it's almost sacriledge to say, but for him to carry on as a solo artist would definitely not have been as lucrative to him as it would have been (and was) to carry on as Pink Floyd. So you may see the point Roger Waters was trying to make at the time.

I personally think the team of Gilmour and Waters was greater than the sum of the parts. Neither do as well without the other in the picture.

PS - I wouldn't believe everything you read on the net in the first place. Just because an obscure web article says that Gilmour played all of the bass parts doesn't make it fact. I'd research a little bit more.

8. I'm glad to see that David Gilmore isn't the slightest bit bitter about the fact the Roger Waters (rightfully so) is credited as the genius...chief songwriter of Pink Floyd.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's actually been the word for years, that much of the bass work in PF was either Gilmour or studio cats. The latter, particularly, on The Wall.

I don't mind. I think of Rog less as a genius bass player (although I really like his playing on early Floyd records -- i.e. "Echoes" from Meddle) and more of a genius writer.

Either way, a genius. And I don't discount Gilmour either. His solo stuff lacks the wit and bite of Waters, but his playing is always amazing and his songs are also pretty damn good.

10. watch dvds of rogers latest concerts, he certainly isnt playing bass on all the songs

11. And he is lip syncing and/or grunting most of the vocals too.

Sad.:( :(

12. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    As a bassist (not just a Pink Floyd fanatic) I can honestly say that I really like Waters' style. Granted, Gilmour did play on a lot of the albums and he is better technique-wise, but I like Waters' simple style. He kept a solid groove and still managed to texture the songs well, plus his songwriting is unbeatable. If you listen to him in live Floyd recordings, he's not half bad either. His singing is lackluster, but bear in mind that he's tone deaf. He is an egomaniac though, that I don't like ...

13. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    I love Waters as a writer and respect him as a bassist. I like the more minimalist style of some of his lines but on Delicate Sound of Thunder one of their live albums he takes the most obnoxious slap solo in the middle of one song that pisses me off every time I hear it. I've gotta go listen to the album again figure out which song it is.

Edit: It's about 3:30 into Another Brick in the Wall Part II its not horrible and is probably the only place you could sneak a slap line into Pink Floyd without getting laughed off stage but I still don't like it.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's not RW. That's Guy Pratt, who took the bass duties after Roger left the band in 1985.

15. Correct Sir!! ;) ;)