Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roger Waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dev_Man, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Dev_Man

Dev_Man

Dec 26, 2002
    I was just wondering what people here think of the guy...He's one of my favourite bassists not really because of his playing but mainly because of his song writing:)

2. waters is the man. definitely an increedible songwriter.

3. His playing's not too bad either, he was definetly one for "less-is-more", which worked so well in the Floyd.

And he *did* write one of the best bass riffs ever..... Money.

4. He's definately not flashy, but he's very intelligent in terms of his bass player and is also very subtle. His stuff is easy to play, but sometimes easy to play wasn't easy to write.

My personal fave. Floyd line is on "Have a Cigar"

5. A great, if tempermental musician.

A complete Jackass of a person who openly shows contempt for his audience.

6. Dev_Man

Dev_Man

Dec 26, 2002
    haha yes he is quite the jackass but a great musician none the less:)

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You mean Les wasn't the first?? :eek:

jk

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah but now he has a great bass player with him! Guy!!! wicked bass player. I have seen them several times and everytime guy does a nice bass solo! Usually in the song money

9. There isn't any Pink Floyd album that I don't like. Also Roger Waters solo albuns...

He is a good bassist and do the job very well, but like many more people, I like him most for the lyrics than for what he is as a bassist.

10. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Waters is the man. I like his bass work on Animals and The Wall. Not flashy but solid and worked great with the songs.

It's sad he and Gilmour can't get things sorted out and work together.

11. I never said he's not a good bassist! He always did the job well... and thanks for remembering me about his work in Animals! BTW... and excelent work!

12. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Rumor has it Gilmour played bass on a lot of Floyd albums. Roger played bass live up until the Animals era, but you'll notice the band is never listed on the 70s-era Floyd albums. For example, it doesn't say "Roger Waters- bass"

13. "Animals" was '77, and it's written on DSOTM (released '73), "ROGER WATERS Bass Guitar, Vocals, VCS3, Tape Effects"

Post WYWH it's not written who played what, but that was released in '75........