Roger Waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Dec 30, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This is a guy who I sincerely believe gets far less, if any credit, than he rightfuly deserves. To be totally honest, when I bought my first bass years ago, I was heavily into Pink Floyd, and yes, I admit it, Roger inintially inspired me to pick up the bass. His lines are so cool and out there. He is a musical genuis. I cannot say enough great things about Roger and his bass playing, which is truly remarkable. Also, as far as questions go, I have one. Which big Floyd songs did he sing lead vocals on. His voice and David Gilmours are so similiar its very hard to tell them apart. :)
    descendent22 likes this.
  2. polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    I am glad to have come across another fellow bassist who digs the low end sound of the Waters-era floyd. His playing to me is different is a sense that it literally gives the feeling of the song its atmosphere and depth, technically and emotionally. Hearing him play on live bootlegs from the animals and wish you were here tours, I can hear that his bass playing has this really brutal clangy sound that gives the music an eerie atmosphere. Off the top of my head, some the main songs where he sings are as follows:
    Set the Controls for the heart of the sun
    Pretty much all of the Animals album
    Shine on you Crazy diamond
    Brain Damage and Eclipse on Darkside
    And a lot of the Wall, since his voice is the more higher pitched shrieky sounding one. Not that it is bad, but his voice is great and unique and fits Floyd perfectly. I truly believe Gilmour and company should have quit when Roger asked them to. They are not the same without the dark wicked lyrics that Rog used to provide. By the way, when I first picked up the bass, Roger's bass playing, when he was with the Floyd, was truly what I wanted to shoot for...but instead, I got seduced by the sounds of john Entwistle...but don't get me wrong, Roger is still a true inspiration in how I want to create music. He is underrated by the damn music scene it seems...

Stay cool and play that bass my friend!!!
    Take care!!!
  3. Roger is great, Pigs on Animals was one of the tunes that made me want to play bass.
  4. Although I do enjoy his playing during HIS era of Pink Floyd :), I find Roger Waters' playing in early Pink Floyd (when Syd Barrett was in the band) interesting in character as well. Mostly because it keeps the idea of playing around one chords or a simple repeating progression and yet can branch off into another direction. That is the essence of free-form jazz, which is what Pink Floyd essentially is. Plus he uses a Rickenbacker (and he bought it using an student architectural grant), which is very different from the Fender Precision that he would use from around 1970 (<I>Atom Heart Mother</I>)

On a side note: I had the fortunate pleasure to hear Waters live at the Nissan Pavilion this past July. :)

Derek J. Power
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My uncle saw Roger in Atlanta on his last tour and said that Roger played lead guitar the entire show and was just as good as Gilmour on the parts. Floyd without Roger was ok. I enjoyed "Momentary Lapse of Reason" for what it was worth, not trying to compare it to Roger era Floyd. Also, how did David's Floyd get the rights to the songs and the name? Couldn't Roger use the name too if he wanted?
  6. polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    When I got to see Rog play here in San Diego this past summer, I noticed that he only played rythm guitar during some songs and not lead. The lead was played by Doyle Bramhall and Snowy White. Great concert though, but it would have been better if Dave was there playing his fiddle...
  7. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I love the bass line for "Money". Thats so cool. He's a theatrical genius too. Have you seen "Pink Floyds the Wall"?
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Victor, I agree that Money is one cool bass line. I always play that riff when I am playing with someone for the first time jsut so I can hear them say, "that's a cool bassline dude." Funny I guess. That line is so simplistic. It bascially uses chordal tones to create the line. I have seen The Wall, and yes, Roger is a theatrical genuis. I love the guy's work, even his latest solo job, Amused To Death.
    descendent22 likes this.
  9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I agree about Roger being underrated. I remember always being predujiced against him because someone told me years ago that he was the worst bass player he'd ever heard. (Maybe he should listen to some Korn :D)) When I started getting into Floyd, I begun realising that he could play. I especially loved the sound he had on The Wall - it suited the album perfectly, very atmospheric. I remember asking on here what bass he played on that album. When I found out it was a P-Bass, that's what I went out and bought.
  10. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I am a big fan of Roger too and just like JWC, I started to play bass because of Pink Floyd (1965-1983). Since he has very cool basslines, I was quite surprised when I read this in an interview with him (1992):
    "I was never a bass player. I’ve never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the sound I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I’ve never been interested in playing the bass. I’m not interested in playing instruments and I never have been.”
  11. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah I was a huge Pink Floyd fan for a while and Floyd was all about Waters for me. I love the Final Cut. I saw Gilmour's Floyd tour Momentary Lapse. It was the BEST sounding arena show I've ever seen. Still a great show though not the real thing without Waters. They had Guy Pratt on bass- what a monster! I'll never forget them opening with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." That first bass note just resonating in my chest with their insane sound system.

Now as far as what Tomi was saying I've read two different interviews with Gilmour claiming that he played a lot of the bass in the studio. Now considering the break up these guys had it could be that Gilmour was just trashing Waters but after what Tomi said who knows. Gilmour claimed to have played bass on most of Animals. The interviewer asked him about "Hey You" and Gilmour says something like, "Roger playing fretless, are you kidding?"

Hey whether he was Floyd's full time bassist or not he still wrote the majority of their songs and IMO the best ones.
  12. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have found that interwiev with David Gilmour:

“M: Was Roger an effective bassist back then?
    G: He had developed his own limited, or very simple style. He was never very keen on improving himself as a bass player and half the time I would play the bass on the records because I would tend to do it quicker. Right back to those early records; I mean, at least half the bass on all the recorded output is me anyway.
    M: This is not a widely acknowledged fact.
    G: Well, I think it's been said, but it's certainly not something we go around advertising. Rog used to come in and say "Thank you very much" to me once in a while for winning him bass-playing polls.
    M: Did you play the fretless bass on "Hey You"?
    G: Yeah. Hmm. Roger playing fretless bass? Please! [laughs]”
    Musician, August 1992.

And the answer from Roger Waters:

"Dave and I never wrote together. I don't ever remember writing with Dave. Sometimes he'd bring in a chord sequence and I'd the make a song out of it. Or he'd bring a guitar riff in and I'd make a song out of it, like 'Wish You Were Here.' I love that riff, it's fantastic. But we never wrote together, ever. Never. And Dave was never interested in drama, ever. In my experience. He never showed any interest at all, ever, in drama. Of any kind. Certainly not.
    I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the "sound" I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."
    Musician, December 1992

I wish I had never known this. :(
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can't imagine the shock I felt when I saw a post by JWC in the new thread list!
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Now, I have nothing personal against JWC, but how does one post when they are "banned?"
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    An old thread of his, brought back from the dead...
  16. I´ve don´t have anything to said, just posting a reply.. :D

But Waters was one of my influences, not only as a bass player..
  17. I like his basslines, I've heard him play Pigs (Three Different Ones) and many of the other basslines live, so I think he can play pretty good. He also wrote a majority of the songs, too.
  18. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    the only non-jazz/or jazz influenced music I still sparely listen to nowadays,is Pink Floyd's one.
    You know there is something magic in my opinion:all that colours,sensations,emotions,visions in such basic songs.....
    In my opinion all the Floyds sucks as instrumentalists,but Gilmour.Did anyone of you see a concert from the last tour(1994)?I have missed it:what a shame....
  19. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Whenever I'm faced with coming up with a bass line for something that's either rhythmically sparse and/or harmonically lush and sonic landscapelike with one of my bands, Roger Waters is always one of the bassists I look back to for guidance. His lines are supportive of the melody, but also serve as countermelodys/thematic motifs for the song in and of themselves. I think that's what great bass playing is really all about!

Keep Thumpin' Ya'll,
    eViL cAke
  20. Actually, Pink Floyd was very jazz influenced, especially the stuff with Syd Barrett Syd Barrett actually took the name of two American jazz musicians (Pink and Floyd) and created the name Pink Floyd with it.