Rogue Basses????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    What is the consensus of the board on Rogue Basses? This with the understanding that there is a high end in the line of Rogue Basses?
  2. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've never ever picked up a Rogue, played it, then thought "Hm, this isn't a bad bass." or anything even remotely close.

I can't even think of one redeeming quality they have.

3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have had the unfortunate distinction to play probably more Rogues than anyone ever should. There is always an alternative to a Rogue. Whatever rogue you look at, you can find something else that is better quality but probably a comparable price.

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Essex, for instance.
  5. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    did you know that Rogue is to Squier, what Squier is to Fender bases?i read that the squier division of fender manufactures rogue basses,i believe it was in Bass Player magizine. i could be wrong but i doubt it, because i heard it elsewhere before i read the article:bassist: . I'M JUST A VAULT OF USELESS INFORMATION :D
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Props to you all for not spelling it "Rouge".

That is all I have to say. :D
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rogue basses are built down to a price. They look at some other bass on the market, then make one that looks like it with similar features and sell it for less money.

There's no sense in buying anything but the cheapest Rogue (or Essex, or any other low cost import) because what you pay for in the "high end" models is cosmetic stuff that doesn't help playability or sound.

Better to buy a well built "meat and potatoes" bass or go for a used one.

Where Rogue and Essex make sense is when they are just cheaper than ANYTHING ELSE.
  8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA