Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ROGUE FRETLESS AND BARTOLINI???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by injektilo, Apr 1, 2005.

1. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    :bassist: Well... here's the thing... I want the cheapest fretless in the market which happens to be a musician's friend's rogue LXB200F or something like that, and then I want to install maybe a P/J bartolini or seymour duncan's basslines set... what do you think?? does the bass worth it???

thanks for your help!!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it would be a waste to put good pickups in that thing if you're looking for any mwah. Every rogue I've played has had no sustain and sounded worse than a weedwacker line and a twig.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The pick ups probably will have more value then the bass and putting really good pick ups in a not so hot bass wont allways make it sound better.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I read everything about the rogue fretless that I could find and then got a 'blem' for $95 from musiciansfriends.com Immediately removed the strings, tightened all the screws and nuts and installed a set of D'Addario Chrome flats. Read the Gary Willis setup tutorial and did the neck adjustment. Turned out to be a fun a great sounding instrument. Took it to my bass lesson to show my teacher and he really thought it was a hell of deal and sounded good. (my teacher has 3 Ken Smith's, 2 MTd's and a GL) This was a great instrument to intro myself into the fretless world.

The Jazz pickup is weak and I plan to pick one up replacement on Ebay. This bass has also been a great way to learn about setting up and changing pickups, etc. I like having something to experiment with and not be afraid of messing it up. I don't have the experience to mess with my Custom Carvin LB75...

5. i own a neck through rogue,that bass rules!

6. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Things I consider before hot rodding a bass are. The construction, playability, and acoustic tone, as these are things that cant be easily changed. If it passes then I consider the cost of the bass and all the parts that I would change added up and start looking for basses in that price range. Then if I don't find anything I continue with project.