Rogue Fretless???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Okay, awhile ago I had some major GAS for a cheap fretless to diddle around on... I decided not to go with an SX, due to the Fender styled body, which I view pretty bulky. (maybe my views will change someday, I'm pretty fickle.) So, I get an e-mail from musicians friend today, stating that they are having a sale... "Free Amp, with any Rogue bass" ...So, after the initial shudder I had, after thinking that it could be a "good idea" I got serious and looked at the inventory.

Anyway, I found a 4 string fretless for $130, and it got an overal 8.13.

Select hardwood body
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Split-coil pickup with a single-coil at the bridge
    Two volume controls and two tone controls
    Black hardware

FYI, tha amp pictured in the ad was a Drive (I think, bad memory on board) and I don't think that it is a standard deal, probably just whatever crap they have lying around.

So, yay? nay? It's only $130, and resale might could go up after the sale.

PS, yes, I AM ashamed of consiering a Rogue :rollno:
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I say nay. On the good side, there aren't any frets that will stick out of the fretboard and cut your hand like my experiences with Rogue, but all the hardware is cheap, flimsy IME, and frankly, the necks I dealt with (did repairs for two friends) were as fickle as a 90 year old lady with mood swings. They moved a LOT and were hard to dial in.

And no, the value won't go up. I've never seen a used Rogue that sold for more than $60. And that amp, may be free, but it's garbage and will only cause you to pay shipping on it. I guess it's a way for them to get rid of some stuff laying around the warehouse, and avoid the free shipping over $199 deal.
  3. Hey, I've considered rogue before. If you got $130 extra bucks lying around I say, buy it if you don't like it sale it. You don't play fretless, I take it. Maybe better to buy a cheapo to find out wether if it's your thing. If you turn out to be a bad@s$ fretless player you can upgrade. If you don't end up so good you're only out $130. Some would say better to buy once than buy twice. Hey @ $130 You could buy three or four of these things.
    PS: If I wasn't strapped for cash I think I would look into one for myself
  4. You know, I think that the SX is a better deal, but I don't know if I can get over the body style... Maybe if I strip it, and finish it in a clear satin, with no paint, I might like it a bit more... Who knows.

TPLYONS, I totally agree with you, and never thought about the shipping fees... Wow, thank God you mentioned those, I almost totaly thought it was only going to cost me $130, and $200 is more like it, what with shipping and whatnot.

BTW, resale, with no play wear should be around $150-$175 with the amp, at least IMO that is.

5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    With my experience with Rogue and SX I think you'd be better off with the SX. I recently got a 5 string fretless jazz SX and I really like it a lot. Its solid enough and has a pretty good tone. I think if you get a decent strap, the size of the body shouldn't be too bad for you. I've yet to play a decent Rogue.
  6. When I complain about the Fender styled bodies, it's not the weight, not the weight at all. In fact, I love me a heavy feeling bass, I like the tone, and the feel of a heavy wood bass!

I just find the body "contours" sometimes uncomfortable for myself, as sometimes I tend to wear my bass higher (stomach to chest area) for better fretting accuracy.

I guess that's why I'm in love with extremely curvacious body designs :D .

7. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Is is the P shape or J shape that gets to you?
  8. Well, it's pretty much both... I think the jazz bass is a bit bigger (IMO) but that doesn't mean the P bass is more comfortable to me...

What I'm going to do, is actually get a P Bass soon, so hopefully I will learn to adapt by force (leaving my PV at my girl's house, so she can play too) to the body style. Shouldn't be to hard, but that doesn't mean that I'm looking foward to it!

FYI, I love the body shapes of a jazz and precision bass... But just going and picking one up in a store, or at a friends, well, it's just uncomfortable for me. I guess it's something that I'll HAVE to get used to!

EDIT: Also, it's pretty much all of Leo Fender's body designs, lol... Fender, Music Man, and I'm sure a G&L would fit in there too!
  9. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Well it may be uncomfortable at first, but I think that if you get a decent enough bass in your hands that you really enjoy and plays good and sounds good then you will be able to naturally adjust to the body shape. The jazz bass does have a big body but I just think that with the SX, you'll have a much more quality instrument that you'd enjoy a lot more and would be able to adapt to the body.
  10. pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i bought one...

i saw...

i played...

i bought...

i regret... :rollno:

total waste of time...although i want a fretless now :ninja:
  11. It's a great little starter fretless with a decent sound that is NOT meant to be your main bass. If you want a fretless as your primary bass, I agree with everyone here that you need to spend more $$s on a better instrument. However...

Musician's Friend has the Rogue LX200 4-string fretless on sale right now (Thanksgiving '05) for $99!!!!! I have the bass in black. Yes, you get what you pay for BUT for $99 it's an incredible buy!!! Just cut the stupid roundwounds off when you get it (they scratch the fretboard) and get a good pair of flats. Then do a complete setup (mine came from the factory with the neck curved in the wrong direction!). If you're into blues and jazz, get a set of Rotosound LD88's. These are black, nylon flatwounds, the same ones McCartney used on the Abbey Road album. They make this little $99 axe sound GREAT!!! (Just have to do a little nut expansion with a file to get the bigger strings to sit right.) I use the Rogue as my 3rd bass when we play a few old, quiet jazz standards. Adds a nice dimension to the overall sound. But that's as far as I would ever take it.

Anyway, the Rogue LX200 fretless is fantastic for what it is: a starter fretless with good sound from the pickups but an instrument that is NOT your main bass. Hope this helps.