Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was lookin back in one of my musicians friend mags and i saw a rogue fretless for $129.99, now i find that cheap for a fretless, (the list is $456.95), now would that be a good bass to maybe buy and upgrade?

bp13

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
  3. 13,
    Save some money and get an instrument that will satisfy. Something in your price range will be a nightmare to play. If you're new to fretless, get an instrument that has SOME measure of quality to it, not the first affordable thing around. It will make your experience so much more enjoyable. If you are ready for a fretless, save up about $300-400 more and you have so many more options.

Used Carvin
    Used Cort Curbow
    Used (or maybe even new) MTD Heir or Kingston
    Fender Jazz
    Yamaha

All these and others that don't come to mind right now will be such nicer instruments to play than a Rogue.

Hope this helps.

4. I gotta agree with Zon4John... stay clear of the Rogue and live to play another day. You'll be glad you took his advice.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    ROUGE=THE STUFF MY MOTHER USED TO PUT ON HER FACE ;)

Man it never fails :D Every time there is a Rogue thread, there are at least 4 different spellings used

Rogue
    Rouge
    Rougue
    Rogoue
    Ragout
    Whatever :confused:

I do remember seeing a positive review here by ? of a Rogue violin bass awile ago.

I guess the best thing to do is try it out for yourself. Just make sure you have a refund policy to fall back on.

6. I was this close from buying one, then i bought my self a soldering iron, wood filler, and some Rotosound flatwounds, and my Sqiuer Bronco is now a fretless. I reccomend defretting a bass that never gets played.

7. S3Suggs

S3Suggs

Nov 7, 2007
    My friend can get a 40% discount on that price I believe. Is 80 bucks worth adding a fretless to the "arsenal"?

8. BasserK

BasserK

Jul 27, 2009
    I fell in love with my Rogue fretless all over again this weekend. Long story short, I took a seat in a folding chair beside my singin, guitarin buddy on a hay trailer at a country barbecue to begin our set. The left hind leg of the chair found a rotten place in the wooden trailer deck, and as I went down, so went Ol' Blue, free of me as I had not yet strapped her on. In slo mo, she hit and lay still, string side down. I don't remember how I landed but I was up and by her side in an instant. She showed not one ding, dent, dull place in the finish or any sign of trauma. Wasn't even out of tune. A tone knob lay beside her, the only evidence of the horror (besides the now silenced audience) and it slipped back onto its undamaged post. The show went on minutes later.

Sure, more can be spent on basses, and I respect anyone's decision to do so and may myself make that choice one day (don't tell Blue!) I've played her now about three years and loved every minute in a variety of genres from country, Beatles and bluegrass to contemporary, Celtic and church music. Even if I add to the family, I think I'll frequently reach for the Rogue. My fretted 1980's Peavey's fun, but just not the same.

I'd recommend the Rogue fretless to anyone making the transition from upright bass to electric as I did. At $129, it's a steal and a starting point, but it's starting to get harder to make an argument to myself or my wife about buying another bass.

Grab one, set her up to suit yourself, apply a good set of nylon tapewounds, run her through a Marshall, play a few gigs with her, and I'm betting you'll feel pretty guilty thinking about cheating on her.

9. andrew_brenner

andrew_brenner

Apr 17, 2009
    We got our fretless from Rondo after waiting until they got them in for "Christmas" which actually turned out to be in October. Anyway - they are available now, so jump on it if you want one.

I made a stand for mine that is a conversion from a cymbol stand and now my son is playing it upright style. It is a very convenient thing. The stand is a little heavy, but it goes anywhere.

10. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

I got a Brice fretless 6er years ago before I got my Pedulla. In no way does it compare to a Pedulla but it is a good fretless to test the waters with. First thing I did with the Brice is coat the fretboard with West System marine grade epoxy, it really brings out the mids. I don't think it's worth upgrading the hardware on them but it's a decent bass for just under $300.