Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue LX 200B. I Love It!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    Well I have had a few basses. Not as many as most of you guys. The best that I have had is an American P Bass by Fender which I traded and in its place I have a Fender Jazz which I love. I also have a Squier P Bass. I have owned this same Rogue LX200B as my first bass. I played a Ibanez in the higher line series for a while. This is where I traded the first Rogue bass.
    Now years later, I found myself really thinking about that first bass, and especially with it being a Rogue why was I GASSING for it so bad. I realized that in retrospect that Rogue played good and sounded good. It had good features to be a P/J combo with 2 volume and 2 tone controls that really worked. The neck was wonderfully straight, and I liked the way Rogue, or whoever makes them for Rogue, extends the neck down into the body where it is bolted.
    I ordered the Rogue LX200B right from Musicians FRiend like before and couldn't wait to get my hands on it when it arrived. I love the Rosewood board on this one better than the first. Also I chose the same color as the first time. After plugging it in and playing, I can honestly say that all namebrands aside, this Rogue plays as good as my Fender Jazz and better than any Squier that I have had or any other bass for that matter. I hope that my relationship with this one last forever as I don't plan to ever let this go. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. See ya.
    Whitey

2. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    :D If you like it then you should definitley play it! but some people might disagree with you on that one. But i guess this forum is alot about posting your opinions.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Cool, glad you like it! I have no experience with Rogue, so i cannot judge them. While they do get mixed reviews, you have to go with what feels, and sounds right to YOU.

As odd as it is, I owned a kramer striker crapola P copy plywood junker about 10 years ago. While I swore I hated it the entire time I owned it, I really wish I still had it around. Wasn't that horrible once I put EMG's in it, and I really wish I still had it mostly for sentimental reasons. I learned 90% of what I know on that POS. Best $80 I ever spent :D Sadly, through the years of abuse, it was reduced to splinters, and parted out. I even had my senior pictures with that POS!

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I have one of those cheapo rogue fretless' that I got to just knock around on. While it feels like it's made of plastic and the bridge pickup hums like a bee's nest I've always been amazed at how well it sounds in the context of a mix with some good strings. Certainly, I wouldn't want to use it for soloing but for throwing something different into a mix it works great.

5. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    Upon getting it in the mail, the first thing I done was through some D'Addarios XL's on it. I seem to like these strings best out of all that I've used so I have decided to stay with them for now. I never even heard the strings that came on it.
    I also play all my Bass' through a Sansamp
    DI box. I believe this contributes greatly to the sound. I know it does. But, the comparison made in my thread was made with the other Bass's run through the Sansamp also.

Just Tryin' to work it.
    Whitey

6. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    Bump! I would like to hear what you all think of these Rogue line of basses. Not the bottom line Rogues, but these. I have stated my opinion, what is yours?
    Thanks Whitey

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, that is like... blasphemy of sorts...

But I'm happy it worked out for you.

8. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Well, I hate to admit this, given the general opinion on the Rogue, BUT, I found myself in dire financial situation and wanted a new bass.

Musician's Friend, Rogue LX 400B, $199.

You know...it is pretty nice. Wonderful tone very deep and full with nice smooth treble when needed. Neck is very playable, with a very nice thick rosewood fretboard. A small feature that's nice is a graphite nut...my Fender needs to go to the shop for a new nut as the G and D strings are eating into the fretboard above the nut.

So..on the upside..great tone, active electronics allow for all kinds of different sounds, and it has some nice "luxury features" like string through body bridge, the nut, and the tuners are nice quality.

Downside...the pickups are very quiet. At full volume they seem like about a third the volume of a mim fender at the same amp setting. Also, the workmanship is kind of funny. For all the big stuff (neck joint, neck, headstock) the workmanship is good and solid, the detail work is not very good..even a bit sloppy around the bridge for instance. The body is also kind of funky, and maybe a bit small...it's hard to get the right hand (for me anyway) in that jusy perfect plucking position.

All in all...very playable, sounds great ( but quiet), no buzz or hum from the pickups, nice fretboard and hardware....there is a lot of bang for the buck here.

9. Just caught the new FMT Rogues in MF catalog. Hmmmmmm....the name does not enjoy a good rep, but they said the same things about Peavey about a dozen years back. Perhaps a replacement graphite neck for this new Rogue FMT might make for an awesome go-anywhere bass.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That kicks ass! Glad to hear it.

11. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I have 2 Rogue basses........the 4-string fretless and a 5-stringer. I don't know why but for bottom end the 5-string Rogue kicks butt. I record a lot with it on an Akai DPS12i digital multi-track recorder. Almost everyone who listens to the stuff I use it on comments on how good the bass sounds. And, all for $150.00 :D What can I say?.....I love it!