Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue LX406 Pro Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXH, Jun 18, 2005.

1. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I recently ordered my first six string from Musician's Friend. I have yet to receive it, but all the reviews were very positive. Does anyone have this bass? Please hold the sarcasm, I'm totally serious. I know Rogue is known for entry level basses, but it really is all I could afford. :meh:

2. Well, I've never played one before so I'm not really any help but I will point out that there are better 6ers in that price range @ RONDOMUSIC

3. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I wish I knew of this sooner... I can ship it back and get one of those instead, lol. I've never played either, I'm hoping some reader may help me make my next move. I want the best I can get in that price range. What makes the Brice bass better than the Rogue? I see the pickups are different, and more finishing options, but that's all...

4. Do a search on here for Brice and it will bring up a bit of info. I don't own one so I can't add my own opinion but from what I've heard they are decent for the money. Also check Harmony Central user reviews. I would at least play around with the Rogue before deciding on sending it back, it could be a keeper (assuming that MF has a good return policy).

5. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Thank you very much for your input. I'm actually reading the harmony central review right now, haha. I'll search for Brice in a second.

6. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Did you get your Rogue yet? I got mine a few months back and I'm curious to see what you thought of it.

7. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    No, it's scheduled for shipment tomarrow, but I'm denying delivery to avoid shipping costs. I decided on a Brice instead. This one, black quilted. It's a little more expensive, and shipping isn't free, but I like the finish more, the reach looks to be better, and so do the pickups. Overall, it's just more "me". Plus, I don't really like buying from Musician's Friend. Rondo's is somewhat local (I live in New England), and I read the megathread about Essex/SX and Rondo's just seems to be right choice. Tell me if I should reconsider.

8. Be sure to give a review and post pics when you get it.

9. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    I remember reading in another thread that the Rogue LX406 is a re-named Brice HXB406...they look almost exactly the same

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, you'll be paying the shipping since you did order it and then refused it! I'm speaking from experience with MF!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Chances are that Rogue is made in the same factory side by side with the Rondo multi-string Brice imports. Once a year or so back they were both selling the same identical instrument. I like the looks of the Rogue a little better than the Brice HXBs myself.

Either bass will be a fine six-string for a great price. Musician's Friend's "list price" of $799 gives me a chuckle though. Where do they make this stuff up? That's almost as much of a mark-up as oriental rug list prices.

For future reference, we're a great resource here at talkbass. It's a good idea to ask for advice before ordering something. :cool:

You're going to need a set-up on this bass. And if you refuse shipment on the order you should pay for shipping. Why should Musician's friend pay for you changing your mind?

If I were you, if you haven't ordered from Rondo yet, I'd just keep the Rogue from MF when it comes.

12. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I shall. No one ever posts pics of these, it seems.

I heard that too. They definitely do.

My bass came today. I made my mom go down to refuse the shipment. My heart is broken, lol. I've been waiting so long for a sixer, and now I have to wait longer, ughhhh. I know the wait's going to be worth it, though. (I hope.)

Know any good online stores for D'Addario piccolo strings? I know Musician's Friend has them, but I want to get them somewhere else if I can.

13. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I got impatient and just checked reviews. I learned about this wonderful site (very) shortly after I ordered the Rogue. In fact, this is the site mainly responsible for me changing my mind. I wasn't aware of Rondo, or Brice, until I saw them here.

I'm definitely setting it up right out of the box. Shipping should be taken care of. The lady I talked to at Musician's Friend said I wouldn't have to pay shipment if I refused. I'm sure they can afford shipping more than we can. And we REALLY can't afford to waste much money.

Oops! I missed this one. I read it about 10 minutes too late, lol. I really like the Brice better, anyways. :D

14. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've owned one of these for a while now and they play and feel pretty darn good, the Rogue is what I'm talking about, but I've had 2 and they both had the same issue, the pups were unblanced i.e. the B and C were loud as hell and the A and D were whisper quiet. Plus, it's impossible, NOT POSSIBLE AT ALL, to find pickups exactly the same size nor can you have a pro make you new cores, I tried and despite his best efforts the pups melted in his hands when he tried to heat the glue and separate cover from core. With EMG's in it this bass is pretty solid, nice tone and certainly more than giggable. But the Brice version comes with EMG style pickups already in it hence I'd recommend that one. Good luck.

15. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    In that case, I'm glad I'm getting the Brice. Thanks for the input.
    I have to wait until Musician's Friend receives the Rogue to get my Brice. My mom doesn't have enough credit to buy it right now. :meh: When MF get's thier Rogue, my mom will get her credit back.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Have you looked into the Douglas SB-26 SN Ash?

Worth a look for only $179!!!! I'm tempted to pick one up myself.

[​IMG]

17. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Yeah I saw that one. I like the Brice a lot more. If I could afford it, I'd probably get one of the NT's.

18. Wow!!! That is a smokin' deal. I'm truly tempted right now. I've been wanting a 6'er.

19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Phil,
    I played that bass in the store this past weekend, really pretty nice especially for that $$. Didn't seem to have the power that the Prestige stuff has, but that could just have been the amp it was in, the set-up, or whatever. Almost bought the red one, it sure was purty :D BTW, seemed like the strings were several steps better than the usual chain-link fence wire they were putting on the basses in the past ......

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    For whatever it's worth, these Douglas 6's are way better than the Galveston's you always see on the 'bay .....