Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue LX406 Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi gang, I know most of us have low opinions of these Rogues but my girlfriend bought it for me for our anniversary and I was curious if any of you had ever played or owned one and what your thoughts are. Obviously I have to test it out on my own before I decide to keep it or not, she said I don't have to but I'm not sure she means it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had their hands on one of these new ROgue Pro series basses. On Harmony Central the 5 string version had very good reviews so I wanted to check here. And please don't give me the Rogue must be junk cuz it's cheap thing, I don't care.

2. I have one. The single coil pickups humm. It's annoying. It's a good buy, even if you have to change the pickups.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    How is the preamp in it? I've thought that if it's comfortable I can swap out the pre for an Aggie OBP-1 and new pups but the only pups I've seen for 6 string single coils, on bestbassgear.com, were some Bart single coils, but I don't know if they'll fit in the bass. How does it play? Is the string spacing kind of wide or narrower like a Warwick? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Does anyone else have any experience with any of the 400 Pro series basses?

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I played my buddy's Rogue last week, and it jammed pretty good. It had decent sound and a really fast neck. The upper frets, starting around 9, didn't have much sustain and sounded a little empty. Other than that, it was a really fun bass to jam on.

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool, thanks Apollo, did you mess with the pre at all? Do you think the empty sounding higher frets were due to poor construction or crap hardware?

7. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I have to say it was nicely constructed for the money. My guess is probably the pickups---the output wasn't as high as a more expensive bass. The setup was excellent, with low action, and no string buzz. It was a lot of fun to play.

My buddy is a drummer and bought the Rogue a month ago, just to have around for impromtu jams. He has an old Peavey amp, not sure of model, but probably in the 200 watt range. The Rogue had great low end throught the amp, and was a lot of fun because of the fast neck.

Good luck,
    Andrew

8. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I just noticed you have a Sterling---me too, 2001 model, Fretless. I absolutely love it! Talk about low end, never heard any so low.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool, thanks Andrew I appreciate the info. Yeah, the Sterlings are absolutely incredible basses, I just wish it was a 5 string! I refuse to sell it though because it's an incredible bass and I know I'll have more use for it down the road. But nothing sounds like my Sterling, just incredible no matter how I have it EQ'd, it always stands out with its own character.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    It seems to me that after searching for info on these 400 series Rogues for a few days that they're nothing like the old pieces of crap that they first produced. They really seem to be decent which I find very interesting. Except for input jack problems everyone seems to be finding these basses to be well worth the price, even if they had paid more. I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on it, I love getting new basses... this one just might get a few mods along the way.

11. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I know this is an old thread and all but I thought I'd bump it.

I'm considering buying the LX406 pro 6 string because I really really want to learn to play a 6'er, but I don't feel like spending about $2400 for that Warwick Thumb 6, JUST YET. I've read all the reviews for this guy on Musician's Friend and everyone there said this bass is completely decent for the $250 price tag. 3 band active EQ, flip up battery compartment, dual truss rods. One person even said they were so impressed by the bass, that Rogue *cough Musician's Friend cough* was practically GIVING you the bass at $250.

Some compaints were that the pickups hum and buzz. But that's typical for jazz wired single coil pickups. Another common complaint was that the output was not as high as other active basses. That's something I'm willing to sacrifice. One of my friends plays a Warwick Thumb 5 BO and it's output is SUBSTANTIALLY higher than my passive Jazz bass, even when plugged into the "Active" input on my SWR head. I've got no complaints on how hot the output of a bass is, as long as it's not considerably weaker than anything I've played before.

Anyone have any other comments, experience, anything on this bass? I know Ralphdaddy was getting one... so any positive/negative feedback?

I was also wondering about the string spacing, how is it? How's the pre, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I got it and think it's a wonderful bass, but the pickups in two of these basses were unbalanced, I got one and sent it back for the balance issue and a huge gash in the side and got a 2nd which suffered the same poor pup balance problem. The sound was good, but the B and C strings were too loud and the A and D strings were very weak. I tried to put new pups in it but no one makes anything quite the same so I bought EMG pups and a pre, I'm waiting on the pre still but the pups should be in the bass right now. Honestly, I'd say get the Rondo version of this bass, basically the same thing but it comes with the EMG style soapbars which will prolly save you money if you choose to upgrade the pups. That said, I did like the bass the way it was except for the pups, played nice, very comfy and was solid. The preamp wasn't anything special, not horrid but not good. The electronics were really the weak part of the bass. But I give it my endorsement.

13. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    How about string spacing and actual weight balance? My friend that plays the Warwick Thumb 5 has a complaint with the scale and how the bass tends to lean down and hurts his wrist.

With string spacing, I think the one thing that keeps me from switching to 5 or 6 already is that all the 5s (with the exception of the warwick) have strings spaced a little bit further than a guitar. (i know that's exaggerating, but it's what it feels like compared to a 4 string)

You mentioned a Rondo version. Where can I find more info about this? That's one thing I wished it had, soapbars. I bet it'd sound extreme with a pair of bartolini soapbars in there.

14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You can check out the Brice stuff that Rondo carries at www.rondomusic.com. The Brice basses are generally built a bit better than the Rogue's, but I think they're a little more expensive, as well. Most of the Brices have 19mm spacing ........

If you just want to go directly to the 6ers, here are the primary links:

http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb406bub.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/prestZbass.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/Zbassneckthru.html

Check the Essex Megathread .... lots of info on the Brice stuff, or do a search for the Brice 6 string

15. aliendogbrain

aliendogbrain

Nov 12, 2006
    I'm just starting with the sixes, and have lots of fourstring "habits" I need to break, but last week I jammed with a drummer that had a new LX406 Pro that really played and sounded like a dream to me. Yes, the strings seem a little too close together (to a 20 year fourstringer anyway), but unless you want a sitar-size neck, I guess that's the tradeoff you have to learn to compensate for. I'm a huge Warr/Stick fan, but I am desparately poor, so to "UP" my string count, this seemed like a good decision to me. First time I touched it I was tapping stickstyle and I LOVED IT! Rings like a bell, without a trace of fretbuzz, with feather-low action... and that B is CLEAN!