Rogue LX408

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JVA, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JVA

Jan 8, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Fast intro since it's my first post:

Name is John & I'm 47...been playing since I'm 13. I got a few years under my finger tips...;) I currently own a Yamaha RBX-550 that I converted to fretless 10 years ago and I have a Honer acoustic I use to annoy the dog & my wife with. A close friend has convinced me to start hitting the studio with him & his buddies to make some noise and I'm lovin it! Now the question: I want to fill out our sound and have been tempted to look into a Rogue 8 string LX408. Anyone have any experience playing a Rogue? I know it's an inexpensive guitar, but it's not so much the money as having too many hobbies and I don't want to push the Wife's panic-button by spending $800-1,200 on a guitar right now....

Any and all input is appreciated!

2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    +1 on the SX I LOVE my SX... but they don't make any 8 string SXs.
  3. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

You could do a lot better. Check EBay. Rondo has some 6 strings for around $300. A Dean or a Schecter 8 string can run between 300 and 600 new.

4. I like My Rogue (for what I bought it for which was as a travel practice bass) but I will tell you that the electronics leave much to be desired. Now I got this six string for under $200 so I was OK with giving it a little TLC to fix up some minor issues, shield the electronics compartment and swap in some old electronics and pickups that were changed out from my other basses. Now it is a nice bass and more than serves it's purpose.
    SX or Rondo does have some nice basses for the money, I think you might want to look on They do have a fretless 8 string, you may want to contact the store and see if they can get fretted ones.
  5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
  6. JVA

Jan 8, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'll call my local Guitar Center tomorrow and see if they have one in stock. For $200-300 I figure if nothing else it's a decent novelty piece. If I need to Hot-Rod the electronics I can deal with that easy enough.

I'll post a follow-up when / if I decide to buy one...:)