Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Folks.

Has anyone ever tried Rogue bass strings, the Musician's Friend brand? The go for about $5 a set and are supposedly made by Gibson. Anybody?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    At that price...they are at lest trying out to have as a spare set. I think I'll order some and check them out. Or maybe we should designate a tester...:)

3. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    i actually had them on my bass for 6 months.they worked a lot better than i thought they would and i'd buy another set of them over the rotosounds i have on now.the strings are made by gibson and although they sounded kinda twangy the first few weeks i thought they were pretty good strings.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    BW, string choices are sooo subjective. I use Martin Darco Nickel Roundwounds on some of my basses (including the Tobias 4, with great results) and all I've ever seen as far as comments about them are...they're crap:D You know what the ultimate test is...you have to try them yourself.

Let me know how they work out, maybe I'll buy some;)

5. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I have been using the Rouge bulk pack strings for years. I started off with Boomer, which I did not like. And then experimented around until I found Elixers, which felt like a silk bath for my finger tips, but they are crazy expensive and for some reason never held tune well.

The Rouges are great. They are really bright at first, but after a few weeks they mellow out a bit. I have never had any more breakage problems with Rouge than I have for anything else, I play a whole gambit of styles.

They are really great in that you can buy individual strings and have your own custom gauge sets for fairly cheap.