Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass... worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1313 King, May 10, 2004.

1. 1313 King

1313 King

May 10, 2004
    MO, yo
    Since this is my first post, I'll introduce myself. My name's Zach and I'm new at bass. I've played guitar for nearly a year but I've decided I'm going to pick up bass because lately I've been very interested in learning. So, if I come off as ignorant in my future here at this forum, it's because I am. :D

Anyways, I'm buying a Rogue Violin Bass. I've heard bad and good things about Rogue. I've heard they're decent beginner instruments and I've heard they're crap. I'm mainly getting a VB because of the Macca influence lol. So if you would let me know of your experiences with Rogue, and the VB in particular, I'd appreciate it.

2. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I've never played this particular Rogue bass but I did pick up one of their other ones just for giggles once. It felt cheap, like the neck was going to fall off if I pushed down on it (which i tend to do while sitting.) The electronics sounded cheap, very weak signal and it distorted easily. A combination of the neck and sound made it very hard to play, it felt dead. I read somewhere that Rogue is a sub-Squire company, which honestly scares me.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It looks to me that this bass, Rondo's , Jay Turser's were all made at the same factory. Notice the headstock, tailpiece etc. Probably the same bass with different badges. I have noticed that Jay Turser offers one in flame maple. If you are dead set on getting a Hofner knockoff do some price comparisons. I know personally that Rondo offers great customer service if you experience any problems.
  4. King,
    Save your money and get something you're going to really enjoy playing, not something that "fights" you everytime you pick it up.

Carvins start at around $500. Get a used Cort/Elrick for around $550. Get a NICER Ibanez for around $400-500.

Rogues are inexpensive for a reason.
  5. I suggest an Essex bass. They are cheap and really good quality. Rouge is just utter crap, they don't have anything worth buying.
  6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You get what you pay for...............
  7. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Please don't buy this bass. It is hardly worth going to someones house to pick up for free. Save up for something good like an Ibanez or a Fender. Rogue really blows. :bassist: :D
  8. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    check out Dean basses, there really well priced and surprisingly nice

not the best for that low down and dirty bassy sound, but awsome for slap
  9. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    My friend has one of these Rogue Hofner copies and it looked and played nice. However, the name carries a stigma (my friend did not realize this). Essex has a simliar one as does Jay Turser. i have a bass and a guitar from each of them and they are great at low priced stuff. Essex's model is the cheapest, new $229 (i think).
    This is assuming you want a Beatle-type bass. You can go even lower for entry level basses. Essex makes surprisingly nice copies of well known models that are great buys in the $110 range and Yamaha, although not up my alley, makes good stuff for the money (under $200).
    Check prices on ebay and online stores (and your local places).
    Best online resource is this:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very True, Hofners can be difficult instruments but a Hofner knock off your just asking for problems with the bass.
  11. 1313 King

1313 King

May 10, 2004
    MO, yo
    Thanks for the the advice everyone. I've already bought this (already had at the time of posting, in fact... :D... still wanted advice). But I have 45 days to decide on it. I read a bunch of reviews from Harmony Central and a lot of people tend to be satisfied with it... if they aren't they seem to be exceptions and/or they don't explain why the gave it a low rating. It's my first bass so it won't be a step down from anything else I've ever played. I've played a Fender SB5 (I believe that's what it's called... they only sell Squier versions of it now), a Squier J-bass, and a Rogue 5 string. I've played none of them extensively so it shouldn't be so bad.

If the neck breaks... then I'll be pissed. I had a dream last night that I got the bass and the neck was bent all crazy like. ahahaha, it sucked.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Best of luck with it, let us know if you keep it.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Then you'll really be the one to answer the question you posed:

Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass... worth buying?

I hope you'll follow up on this thread when you get the bass. I assume you ordered it and don't have it yet?

I've got one of the Brice violin basses, and I can't see how it could be a different build than the Rogue. If they're the same it should be a pretty darn good little bass. The Brice I've got is a solid piece of work, plays just fine as long as you're comfortable with the violin bass specs. I wouldn't claim it's anywhere near the quality of my high-enders or custom hand-mades, but it didn't cost anywhere near as much either.

I've never played a 'Rogue,' but they tend to get a lot of flak around here. The Brice is definitely worth the $ (I bought mine used) so I'd be pretty amused to find they are actually the same bass. Essex and Brice (the brands sold at ROndo) get pretty good feedback on this forum. I seriously doubt the Rogues, Johnsons, Tursers, and other import 'entry-level' brands are much different from each other. It's just a matter of brand-name reputation.

Let us know if the bass was worth the money for you.
  14. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Last year I picked up a used black Turser Violin bass. I have many top end basses but this type of bass is basically a novelty instrument for me so I didn't want to spend the big $$ on a Hofner. I too went to Harmony-Central and I saw a lot of people very satisfied with these. I do agree - I think most of these brands are made in the same factory.

Okay - for what it is I think it's an excellent instrument. I'm actually quite pleased with the quality level for the money. Very well done, straight neck, good binding job and really nice finish. The hardware is what you'd expect. It's adequate and stays in tune. It's gold on mine - my only advice is don't polish it! And mark the bridge location - when you change strings it'll come off. LOL
    I threw a set of Pyramids on it and I must say I think it cops the sound very closely and my band agrees - close enough for me, and I don't feel guilty about having $1800 sitting in the closet! Turser's come with a limited lifetime warranty - I don't think you can beat that for the money. I really like mine - it's light, solidly built and sounds and looks good. If this is the type of bass you want it does the trick admirably for a nominal outlay.

Good luck with your Rogue!
  15. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I had my friend's for about 20 minutes while he was waiting to go on stage for the Beatlefest. It was a rogue and it was nice. Im sure its just about the same thing as similarly priced models.
    One of these things (maybe a Turser) would def. be on modest wish list.
  16. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I had one and it was a decent bass if you're looking for that style. Played, looked, and sounded like it was supposed to. Only sold it cause it's so limited in application - as are the Hofners they're copied after. And before McCartney, Hofners were cheap basses. The only thing indicating it was a cheap reapo to me was the grain on the front of the bass did not line up. Still looked fine but it was something I, and probably most players would notice. But it looked a lot better than some butt-ugly Hofners I've seen. At any rate, even boutique builders make some lemons. I had no complaints with the Rogue other than the reason I sold it - one trick pony.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Where'd you hear good things?
  18. 1313 King

1313 King

May 10, 2004
    MO, yo
    Good things? My friend has a Rogue 5 string bass and a Fender Jazz Bass and he prefers the Rogue... That's where.

I still haven't got it but I will definitely post once I've played it some.

But I have a question. I've never ordered anything from Musician's Friend, let alone an instrument. I put the money order in the mail (I don't have a credit card, so I had to use snail mail) on Sunday (5-9-04??) and still haven't got it. They say it ships within 2-3 days... when should I expect it?
  19. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Focus folks....its $200!

It is not a Sadowsky or an exotic big ticket item but it gets the job done.

Wish Rogue quality had been around when I started out....then you needed two hands just to get the strings onto the fingerboard!

I've got an Eastwood - same kind of thing and it is great . Get some advice from a bass playing friend when you get the bass and see if it plays in tune. If you want a Beatle bass - get one! Good luck
  20. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I've said it before..I loved my Rogue bass. it was Charcoal grey and vaguely resembled an Ibanez soundgear. Played nice, sounded nice, was light weight and never game me any problems. It's a good beginner bass especially for those of us who are pretty much broke. $400-$500 is a LOT of money when you don't have that much to start with. Some of you have never had to deal with those sort of limitations and can afford to be picky about "cheap" basses. Others of us have to play what we can get and make it work.:bassist: